Water Changes

ConnorDaReefa

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey. This is probably a simple question but I know it might generate different opinions. I have a 65 gallon tank but I typically assume it is 60 gallons of volume (because of rock and other water displacement factors). Would it be better to do an 8% weekly (5 gallons) or to do a 16% change every two weeks?

nuxx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Think you'll burn out weekly...

I was lucky enough to figure out how to run lines to do daily automated changes, which I consider the best... also easy ;)

OP
OP
ConnorDaReefa

ConnorDaReefa

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Think you'll burn out weekly...

I was lucky enough to figure out how to run lines to do daily automated changes, which I consider the best... also easy ;)
I’ve always thought of that but water changes are always like my time to also clean filtration and etc so it kind works out and keeps me on schedule. I currently do the 8% weekly but I occasionally miss a week every now and then. So maybe switching to bi-weekly will be smarter in my case. Thanks for the reply.

OP
OP
ConnorDaReefa

ConnorDaReefa

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went weekly the first year now I do 18% every 3 weeks.
Yea. Doing larger and less frequent water changes seems a little more appealing now, and as long as you keep the water heated that you mix and its similar to your tank’s parameters, I feel like you could kind of rule out the factor of it creating instability.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea. Doing larger and less frequent water changes seems a little more appealing now, and as long as you keep the water heated that you mix and its similar to your tank’s parameters, I feel like you could kind of rule out the factor of it creating instability.
But I dose major elements daily and trace elements weekly in-between water changes to maintain levels.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think for new tanks the first year weekly water changes are essential to maintain some balance. New tanks are unstable and water changes each week add a level of stability to the system. As a tank matures and you start dosing various tank elements then the water changes can be spread out father however you can not go Wong by continuing weekly changes either.

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey. This is probably a simple question but I know it might generate different opinions. I have a 65 gallon tank but I typically assume it is 60 gallons of volume (because of rock and other water displacement factors). Would it be better to do an 8% weekly (5 gallons) or to do a 16% change every two weeks?
32% every month or 4% every 3.5 days. Maybe 1% every day. Not sure this can be answered.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 148 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.4%
Back