Water changes

Jguido1987

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a quick question. I normally do about a 10% water change every week. I have a 28gal nanocube so it's only about 2.5 gals a week. Or to my best estimate "half" of a 5gal bucket with my mixed rodi salt water. And then the bucket sits for a week and I use the remaining water for the next change.

My question is.

Would it be better to do a 20% water change every two weeks as opposed to a 10% every week?

Everything has been going good so far with the current schedule, but I was wondering if I would get better and a more stable water quality by spreading out the water changes?
Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

tdileo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Smaller water changes more often > large ones less frequently. This would definitely lead to more stability in your tank.

EriksOasis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally would just do the whole 5 gallon bucket that way you don’t have to let it sit and then add more RODI water to get the right salinity all over again could save you some time and trouble.

Robinreefs94

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If u have water changes as the solution of bringing out nutrients from the tank and replenish elements into the tank, well then it depends on how fast the nutrients levels rises and corals and other organisms "eats" ca,mg etc.

Smaller water changes often makes the system generally more stable. So once a week is a good startpoint. I change around 10% every other week since I don't have that fast of a build up of nutrients (got skimmer, carbon and phosphate remover though).

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a quick question. I normally do about a 10% water change every week. I have a 28gal nanocube so it's only about 2.5 gals a week. Or to my best estimate "half" of a 5gal bucket with my mixed rodi salt water. And then the bucket sits for a week and I use the remaining water for the next change.

My question is.

Would it be better to do a 20% water change every two weeks as opposed to a 10% every week?

Everything has been going good so far with the current schedule, but I was wondering if I would get better and a more stable water quality by spreading out the water changes?
Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

You'll never notice any difference in the tank in those two schemes, and it's less stress on organisms to do more small ones. :)

oscargrumete61

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a 20 gl and used to do water changes every week but now i do it every 2 weeks and my corals are responding better just my 0.2 cts

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 15 7.9%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 34 17.8%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 127 66.5%
  • Neither.

Votes: 9 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.1%
Back