Water changes

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive made up 125 gallons of water change water. My tanks net gallons are about 150. Is it better to do all 125 gallons at once or three 42 gallon water changes over a few weeks. Benefits/disadvantages?

MONTANTK

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unless you’re trying to get some out of your system, such as a chemical, I would probably just do 20 gallons every 2-3 weeks. If your system is lightly stocked you could probably do once a month but I would just check your parameters twice a week to gauge it

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In general, smaller frequent changes are recommended so tank inhabitants are not stressed. Typically 10% weekly is recommended. I used (many years ago) to do 30% every 2 months though. That was before I had many acros.

arking_mark

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive made up 125 gallons of water change water. My tanks net gallons are about 150. Is it better to do all 125 gallons at once or three 42 gallon water changes over a few weeks. Benefits/disadvantages?

What's your goal of doing the water change?

OP
OP
Cory

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is in the tank?
Frags of sps, some frogspawn, live rock, 5 fish (yellow tang, scopas tang, panther grouper, emperor angelfish and an orange spot rabbitfish). Its a bare bottom tank so theres a lot of accumulated detritus every 10 days id like to remove. But am thinking if its better to remove it in 3 wated changes or not.

Parameters are po4 .54ppm no3 2.5ppm. 440 cal, 1285 magnesium.

arking_mark

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get out the detritus and drop po4 to .03ppm from .54ppm

Nothing good happens fast in a reef tank. So if your parameters aren't closely matched, including nutrients, you could be asking for trouble. I recommend doing the water changes over multiple weeks...maybe 25% a week.

cloak

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW I change about 10% every three weeks. Sometimes I stir up the SSB, sometime I don't. No problem... In the long run though I do recommend getting some of that muck out of the substrate on a regular basis. Manual labor can work wonders sometimes. GL.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Your key issues are detritus upwelling when pouring back in

And light ramping afterwards if it's all at once cleaning. Partial changes don't require light ramping

That's an example above of our most recent change, I think he did most new water all at once

Doing forty gallons is still a lot if you choose that mode

the complete water change now works in any reef tank we want to run one in. that doesn't mean you should or should not do it...it means if you want to the method exists. our home transfer threads are getting close to a thousand examples of complete water changes. nobody loses corals on our home move works

doing a full water change in a bare bottom reef requires little prep other than matching temp and salinity and light dropping a bit. doing the water change over a dirty sandbed required forty pages of practice not to kill your whole system.

Last edited:

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO, it makes only a small difference in terms of import/export.

125/150 = 83%

All at once, it exports 83% of a bad pollutant that is not in the new salt water.

Done in 3x 27.7%, it removes 62% of a bad pollutant that is not in the new salt water.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep in mind that water changes don't work very well for phosphate.

Nitrate dilution is basically as simple as the math. But phosphate gets bound up by rock and sand and later released into the water. GFO or phosguard works better in the short term, and in the long term some type of algae scrubber works well.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back