Water chemistry for Beginners

MrsDragon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I first set up my 55gal cube, I was doing my water tests with my Saltwater Test Kit. I felt very proud of myself that I was doing the right things and so far it was doing well, with my 4 corals and pair of clowns looking happy and healthy.

My test kit contains tests for pH, ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrate. The more I am reading about requirements of different corals and the need for dosing, with the required testing first, the more I am starting to stress.

The stress has been added to because of a lovely crash last night, when 2 days earlier all my, parameters were ok (I have since found out this was due to a rotting leather coral - another story). My pH was down to 7.4-7.6, ammonia and nitrite both up and nitrate moderate. :(

Can we please have a thread or a sticky to let beginners know what they should be testing for (obviously the basics as above) and what particular tests are beneficial to be done? For my freshwater tanks I also test for KH and GH, should I be doing similar for my marine tank? I did do these one time – the GH I gave up on when I got to 30 drops and couldn’t fit more into the test tube and the KH was at 8.

Please help. :)

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
https://www.reef2reef.com/forums/reef-chemistry-forum/122294-parameters-reef-tank.html

The chemsitry values are only as good as your test method/brand of test kit.

Basically you're trying to approximate NSW (natural salt water).
Reef Aquarium Water Parameters by Randy Holmes-Farley - Reefkeeping.com

Until you move into keeping LPS (large polyp stony corals) or Sps (small polyp stony corals) maintaining water chemistry should not be stressful. When in doubt water changes should be able to replace the essential trace elements.

Do not worry about specialty test such as Iodine......

Monitoring/testing calcium, magnesium and alkalinity is really all the average hobbyist needs to test for besides the basics of SG, nitrates, phosphates.....

It's not difficult, like all things it just takes practice.

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once a routine is established, its really not a big deal. I only check my water now, about every 7-10days. The tank will more or less let you know when something is wrong.

OP
OP
MrsDragon

MrsDragon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So do I need to get calcium and magnesium test kits? And I thought alkalinity testing was done with the pH test kit. How is this different?

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alkalinity level is a reflection of the solutions ability to maintain a stable pH. If your alkalinity is low the pH of the tank may fluctuate too dramatically to maintain corals. With SW you want to maintain the Alkalinity to maintain a stable pH. Measuring the alk level is more important than pH. The levels of Calcium, Magnesium and Alkalinity all play off each other. You need to maintain adequate magnesium to assist in stable Ca and Alk values.

If you're going to be adding stony corals you will need to monitor and adjust the Ca/Alk/Mag levels, so you will need those test kits.
If you're going to stay with soft corals, mushrooms or zoanthids usually simple routine water changes are sufficient.

HTH

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW, Leathers (most?/all?) build stony spicules they use to give themselves some rigidity so are also one of the "lesser" stony corals.

I would monitor alkalinity in any marine tank occasionally. More-so with leathers, LPS, SPS.

Also FWIW, pH is largely determined by the amount of CO2 in the air, so isn't a great way to monitor alkalinity.

-Matt

OP
OP
MrsDragon

MrsDragon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok. Alkalinity is what I think of as hardness in my fresh water tanks. I think that given it's a smaller tank (55gal) I will probably just go with the zoas and soft corals. I have seen some with awesome colours and I love the movement.

I did just test this morning and had Calcium at 28-28 drops and KH at 7-8 drops. pH is still only at 7.8

Pife

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't chase your ph number by buffering. You should make it a habit of keep a testing/reef journal. I keep a notepad with notes and dates of when I have tested and dosed. It is a great help when being able to look back and know what your levels are instead of trying to remember them.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 30.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.9%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back