water clarity

Big_Mclargehuge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey! I would like to get my water a little clearer. I have some issues with microbubbles but also very small debri etc... I have a biocube 32. Filter floss is my only mechanical filtration. Any tips or product recommendations would be awesome. Thanks!

peteyspizza

View Badges
Reaction score
Redwood City, Ca. 94062 (San Francisco Bay Area)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A lot of people run carbon to get their water clearer (among other things). Coralife makes carbon filter cartridges that fit perfectly into the back (aio area) of the biocube. They are around $8 for a two pack and worth a try if it’s something that’s really bothering you.

Super Fly

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
cut up a filter sock (200 micron) and use this instead of filter floss, it'll clear up the water very well. Or u can also try using higher micron filter floss

NJBillyV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Filter floss doesn't catch much, you should use a filter sock as suggested, 100 microns will clear things up. You also need to run carbon. Do those two things and you'll be set.

OP
OP
Big_Mclargehuge

Big_Mclargehuge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Filter floss doesn't catch much, you should use a filter sock as suggested, 100 microns will clear things up. You also need to run carbon. Do those two things and you'll be set.
How often do you run carbon? I've read you really only use it if there is an issue with parameters but im new to all of this. Thanks!

Wolters_88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How often do you run carbon? I've read you really only use it if there is an issue with parameters but im new to all of this. Thanks!
Personally I have the in tank media basket and run carbon 24/7/365. I have filter floss and 100 micron polishing pad and it looks like I don’t have water in the tank. It’s that clear.

OP
OP
Big_Mclargehuge

Big_Mclargehuge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally I have the in tank media basket and run carbon 24/7/365. I have filter floss and 100 micron polishing pad and it looks like I don’t have water in the tank. It’s that clear.
dang id love to get to that point. Do you have issues or have you had issues with micro bubbles?

HB AL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Eliminate what’s causing the micro bubbles and add a 100 or 200 micron sock. Also add gac and a uv filter and your water will always be nice and clear.

HB AL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Run it 24/7, it’s not true to run it only when there’s a perceived issue it might help with. The carbon is not gonna cause any detrimental effects to your tank inhabitants, it’s only gonna help with any issues that it can remedy so running it 24/7 stops those potential issues from arising. Also change it out atleast once a month.

HB AL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would if i knew what was causing them.
We’ll if you can’t visually pinpoint the source of what’s creating them you can trouble shoot it by turning off 1 item at a time like a return pump, skimmer, wavemaker etc.. for say 10 minutes and visually observe the water after it’s been off for those 10 minutes and you will find out which item is causing them.

OP
OP
Big_Mclargehuge

Big_Mclargehuge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We’ll if you can’t visually pinpoint the source of what’s creating them you can trouble shoot it by turning off 1 item at a time like a return pump, skimmer, wavemaker etc.. for say 10 minutes and visually observe the water after it’s been off for those 10 minutes and you will find out which item is causing them.
its the return pump im just not sure why its causing them. there are no leaks etc.. that i can see

HB AL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
its the return pump im just not sure why its causing them. there are no leaks etc.. that i can see
Well atleast that makes it easier since you have the culprit identified. Do you have another pump you can try out to see if it’s the pump or something upstream between it and the outflow into the tank? Also are bubbles entering the pump at its intake? If another pump eliminates the bubbles then you have your answer, if it doesn’t then they are either being produced by bubbles entering the pump or something upstream of it causing them to develop and flow into the display. Should be easy to figure it out with the few different scenarios I mentioned to trouble shoot, good luck.

OP
OP
Big_Mclargehuge

Big_Mclargehuge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only have the one pump. If i look into the chamber that the pump is in it looks like there are bubbles in there but i dont know whats causing them. Thanks!

Wolters_88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
dang id love to get to that point. Do you have issues or have you had issues with micro bubbles?
I had issues with micro bubbles when I switched from the tuner 9001 to the biocube v2 skimmer. But changed the level and it’s fine now. Personally, one of my first upgrades was changing out the return pump in the system to the 1200.

Last edited:

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 29.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 37.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 21 25.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back