Water cooling options

mbixler1537

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in South FL and I just started cycling. My temp is reading about 80-81 degrees everytime I measure. The tank is in a room that is generally warmer than the rest of the house. I have a biocube 32 and was looking to add a chiller. The only chiller that I found that makes sense costs $250. I am looking to find a cheaper option if possible. I won't be removing the top so that is not an option. Any ideas?

PatW

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can get a fan and point it at the tank’s surface. It would help to have it controlled by some sort of controller. Evaporative cooling should cool the tank some. But you will not get it below the ambient room temperature. So if your ambient temperature is relatively high, you could just leave the fan running. The temp is a bit on the high side, but 80-81 degrees is not that bad.

Super Fly

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can get a fan and point it at the tank’s surface. It would help to have it controlled by some sort of controller. Evaporative cooling should cool the tank some. But you will not get it below the ambient room temperature. So if your ambient temperature is relatively high, you could just leave the fan running. The temp is a bit on the high side, but 80-81 degrees is not that bad.
This. My tank is around 78-79 and during summer fluctuates to 80 w/o issue.

Biglew11

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm running my tank 81- 82 on purpose right now, about 3 weeks dinos, everything looks fine. A fan blowing across the water surface will help alot.

HuduVudu

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in South FL and I just started cycling. My temp is reading about 80-81 degrees everytime I measure. The tank is in a room that is generally warmer than the rest of the house. I have a biocube 32 and was looking to add a chiller. The only chiller that I found that makes sense costs $250. I am looking to find a cheaper option if possible. I won't be removing the top so that is not an option. Any ideas?
A fan can work well. I use a 24VDC fan that I directly connect to my Apex. It is pretty shocking how much you can keep the tank temp down with a fan. I am in Houston BTW and our house isn't exactly cool.

When the time comes and they get their production back up GHL makes a Heat Pump that is really cool. Here is the link:

Heat pumps are both cooler and heater so that is really cool.

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
86 gallon with 30 g sump, I try to keep at at 77 for scoly.
big fan comes on at 79, off at 78.5.
If the fan stays on (12 days per year?), I put frozen quart containers of water in as required, every 2 hours.
Most I've used is 4, tank has gotten to 83.5 some days.
When fan is on, watch your water level if no ato.
A chiller will heat the room it is in.
I'm in New England, you might be forced into a chiller in FL.

OP
OP
M

mbixler1537

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I still have the hood on the biocube. How would I position a fan?

HuduVudu

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I still have the hood on the biocube. How would I position a fan?
Pictures would be helpful.

I am guessing that you have the light as a part of it. If this is the case then you will need to DIY to get the fan in or upgrade your lighting.

Honestly covering the top of your tank is very dangerous because a HUGE percentage of your gas exchange takes place on the surface of the water and your hood is blocking that. A skimmer can help, but I find it better to run the top open (or with mesh if you have jumpers).

OP
OP
M

mbixler1537

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s a basic biocube with no upgrades to the hood. I’m worried about not having a hood because I a cat that might get the urge to jump onto the top of the tank. At least for now, I want to keep the lid on. I might try freezing a bottle or maybe it’s just a matter of reducing my light schedule. Thanks all for the info.

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
googling biocube 32, molded plastic hood.
As HuduVudu says, that limits your options.
A ziplock bag of ice works too.
Reducing the lights will not do it.
Maybe run an air stone for better oxygenation.

Montiman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can use a zoomed Aquacool fan through one of the openings on the back. I don't have this set up any more but it works. You will need to rotate the fan to open the hood however.

Hugh Mann

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want to be fancy, rig up a sterling engine to power a fan, if there's enough temperature difference to run one. Or just run a fan, power is cheap. Ish.

You could DIY a chiller for cheap, depending on what you had on hand, though if you had to buy everything, probably cheaper to get a chiller.

Cooler filled with ice water.
Run a water pump connected to a temperature controller.
Cool of tubing, thin walled as possible from pump, a couple coils in the tank water, back to the cooler.
Pump circulates ice water through the tubing, once temperature drops to desired value, temperature controller shuts off.
Use frozen gallon jugs to chill the water. Lasts longer than small cubes.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 42 22.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 65 34.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 62 32.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 18 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.1%
Back