Water Evaporation Questions

Birdman Broham

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
I know it’s normal for water evaporation to happen. My ATO seems to throw in about 1/2 gallon water daily into my sump in order to keep the level where it needs to be. I have a 75G display and a 15G sump, no lids on display and Kessil lights. This is going to sound dumb, but, is this a normal amount of water to lose in this size tank?

Rovert

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It all depends on the ambient conditions. Evaporation rate in Arizona will be different than in Atlanta. Is your ATO covered? If not, that'll help reduce loss from there a bit.

OP
OP
Birdman Broham

Birdman Broham

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
It all depends on the ambient conditions. Evaporation rate in Arizona will be different than in Atlanta. Is your ATO covered? If not, that'll help reduce loss from there a bit.
My sump is open and my display is open. My ATO does have a lid on it. But the tank is consuming 1/2 gallon RO water daily. Just didn’t know if this was common

emoore

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I live in Colorado and lose about a gallon a day due to evaporation on a 50 gallon cube. So I would say your evaporation is completely normal.

PotatoPig

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know it’s normal for water evaporation to happen. My ATO seems to throw in about 1/2 gallon water daily into my sump in order to keep the level where it needs to be. I have a 75G display and a 15G sump, no lids on display and Kessil lights. This is going to sound dumb, but, is this a normal amount of water to lose in this size tank?
That’s about normal.

Evaporation rates will depend on temperature differences between the tank and air, humidity levels, and whether you have covers/hoods that limit evaporation. If you live somewhere colder expect to see more evaporation in winter as the air in your (presumably heated) house will have very low humidity.

Note that evaporation = heat. If you can limit evaporation with a cover/hood you’ll drastically cut down your heating demands.

Last edited:

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 3 ato systems so I no longer bother keeping track of how much evaporation I have I just keep adding. I do seem to be adding water quite often and I upgraded both redsea ato reservoirs because they were too small so it's probably a lot.

Mhamilton0911

BitterSalty
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I lose more water per day in my open 15g cube than I do on my 75g with glass lids. I'm adding 3/4 gallon per day in the small cube but about that amount every 2 days on the bigger tank, in the same room. Every tank is different based on lids or not, humidity in the room, humidity outside. Your amount sounds reasonable.

workhz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds about right. As others have mentioned, it’s all environment dependent. I do lose more in the winter than the summer.

peterhos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tend to lose half a gallon or just under a day in a 50g tank. I have now decided that with fresh RO going in regularly, along with water changes, I am low on trace elements, as shown by an ICP test. Tropic Marin Reminersl arriving tomorrow.

argiBK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
That’s about normal.

Evaporation rates will depend on temperature differences between the tank and air, humidity levels, and whether you have covers/hoods that limit evaporation. If you live somewhere colder expect to see more evaporation in winter as the air in your (presumably heated) house will have very low humidity.

Note that evaporation = heat. If you can limit evaporation with a cover/hood you’ll drastically cut down your heating demands.

I lose about 2 gallons/day on my 180 and somewhat dread how much that evap rate is going to increase once we enter cold season. On my old 75, my 15 gallon reservoir would need to be refilled once/week in the winter whereas it lasted 1.5-2 weeks during the summer.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Im estimating my tank at 2 gals a day

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 17 29.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 34.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 16 27.6%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 4 6.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.7%
Back