Water evaporation

  • Thread starter Thread starter EZMAC114
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

EZMAC114

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 16, 2014
Messages
532
Reaction score
31
Location
Lake Mary, FL
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is 1 gallon of water a lot to be losing to evaporation per day? My sump drops about 3/4 of and inch per day
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1408583577.089605.jpg
 
I believe the amount of evaporation varies from system to system and the size of of the system. IMHO as long as the salinity stays stable and at the appropriate level it should be fine. I have a 57 rimless and use 5g top off every week. I also think I've read that temp and surface movement affect evaporation.
 
I lose... 4+ gallons per day but then again I have an open top frag tank 48"x24" and a 56g display. That and a fan blowing across the frag tank to keep temps down since its in my garage.
 
Also in the winter you will lose more if you keep house cooler in winter. The more the heaters kick on the more evaporation will be. I am running a 90 gallon with 30 gallon sump and a 40 gallon display fuge and top off close to a gallon a day
 
ESHOPPS has a gravity one real reasonable but you will still need a container. I am setting mine up now as long as my container will hold water. I now top off twice a day to lessen the swing
 
The float valve version in sump works well especially if you aren't running Calc in it.
 
I lose about a gallon a day on my 150g DT w/ 40g sump in the summer. I lose a little less in the winter. I use the smart ATO, easy install and very reliable.
 
60 gallon tank with tons of surface tension and I lose about a gallon a day
 
I think a gallon a day is about normal. I've run two different systems with and without a sump and lost about a gallon a day in each. That is amazing reeferrookie!
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 11 6.2%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 13 7.3%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 28 15.8%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 59 33.3%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 2 1.1%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 12 6.8%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 12 6.8%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 28 15.8%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 12 6.8%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new