water glass diy for silica in sps tank

eralff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking for a diy recipe from the water glass for silica addition for sps tank. 40 percent solution.

I currently use zeovit sponge power, directions are 1 drop for 25 gallons PER DAY. I know this is rather vague it would be much easier if I would tell you ppm I am looking for. I did read your article on your silica addition and am surprised you did not notice much change but every tank is different. When I personally add sponge power you can almost see a immediate increase in pe of the acros. With my success with addition I will continue to add silica and observe.

As a beginning addition do I use 1 drop of water glass a as substitute for 1 drop of sponge power or is it a diluted solution. Or what amount of water glass to start adding to 400 gallon net water sps tank.

I do not use gfo but does gfo remove silicates.

Is it possible to determine how much water glass is in sponge power using a refractometer. I do have a hanna digital refractometer.

Last edited:

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
GFO does remove silicate.

FWIW, I doubt the SPS in your tank are responding to silicate per se.

It is not possible to determine what is in sponge power that way, and to be honest, I cannot even tell from the description that it contains silicate since it claims to help all filter feeders (most of which do not use any silicate).

I add about 1-2 mL of a similar solution to yours to my system (total volume about 300 gallons) every 1-2 weeks.

OP
OP
E

eralff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
GFO does remove silicate.

FWIW, I doubt the SPS in your tank are responding to silicate per se.

It is not possible to determine what is in sponge power that way, and to be honest, I cannot even tell from the description that it contains silicate since it claims to help all filter feeders (most of which do not use any silicate).

I add about 1-2 mL of a similar solution to yours to my system (total volume about 300 gallons) every 1-2 weeks.
I guess I was going by brightwell which seems to be clones of a lot of products, they have a product sponge excel and the ingredients is sodium silicate, there may be more in zeo sponge I do not know. I know your are very sceptical of all zeo products and I also would like to see the ingredients listed, I would say the main reason they do not list them is because the is about 10 cents of chemicals in each $75 bottle. I guess I would throw the challenge to try it and see if you find the same thing I did.

I have been keeping sps for 10 plus yrs. Generally they grow well and look good. Just a show off picture

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW, I'm not skeptical that many zeo products work, but it is sometimes hard to comment on them without knowing roughly what is in it,. This one from zeo says it helps clams, and silicate wouldn't do that. Maybe it is just particulate organic matter for filter feeders?

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I couldn't find anyone actually silica testing Sponge Power, so I did and after a search, this old thread seemed the most on-topic.

You were right. A sample of 500mL of tank water tested at 0.24 ppm SiO2 (Hanna hi705) before adding a drop of Sponge Power. After adding a drop and mixing for a few minutes, it tested 0.20 ppm SiO2.
So no appreciable Silica (within test uncertainty).
The recommendation is 1 drop per 25 gallons, so whatever is in it, it's pretty concentrated. It has seemed to help sponge growth, but things that don't tell me what's in them annoy me.

"charged specifically with the task of maintaining and boosting the growth of all your filter feeders including clams, feather duster worms, sponges and tunicates. As an added benefit, you will notice much clearer water due to this increased sessile biomass and diversity!

Use Sponge Power to:
Safely accelerate the growth filter feeders
Increase the occurrence of new ‘growth tips’ on all SPS corals
Massively strengthen the proliferation of all soft corals
Promote vigorous polyp expansion from corals
Intensify coral colors, especially blues and purples
Encourage healing of damaged corals
Shorten the ‘cycling process’ in new systems
Dose: 1 drop | 25 gallons per day"

Impossible to say for sure, but any guesses what's actually in it? something to spur bacterial growth in the water?

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 18 15.8%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 51 44.7%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 39 34.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back