Water Is Cloudy

BudgetR33f

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did a water change at around 7 yesterday and added some API water conditioner, but the water is still cloudy this morning. I also added some activated carbon to my filter a couple days ago. Any help/advice would be appreciated.

Photos for reference:

IMG_2204.jpeg IMG_2205.jpeg

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like a bacteria bloom to me, in which case, all you can do is wait it out. It usually clears in a week on its own, water changes will make it last longer. It doesn't harm anything, but it does deplete oxygen from the water so add an airstone if you don't have a skimmer and have lots of agitation at the water surface.

Water conditioner for tap water? I see you have some corals, rodi water will be better for their long term health than tap water.

OP
OP
BudgetR33f

BudgetR33f

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like a bacteria bloom to me, in which case, all you can do is wait it out. It usually clears in a week on its own, water changes will make it last longer. It doesn't harm anything, but it does deplete oxygen from the water so add an airstone if you don't have a skimmer and have lots of agitation at the water surface.

Water conditioner for tap water? I see you have some corals, rodi water will be better for their long term health than tap water.
I use ro/di water; the conditioner is for lowering nitrates/nitrite/ammonia i believe. Thanks for helping

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    108.2 KB · Views: 11
OP
OP
BudgetR33f

BudgetR33f

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don't need conditioner with RODI water. What is your alk and salinity level currently?
My salinity is a little above 1.025. I can’t test alk right now, but my corals seem to be doing good besides my goni and gsp. The bottle says to add conditioner when doing a water change, but if you guys say it’s not needed i can stop. Thanks

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
for sure stop using that in the reef tank, we don't ever need it. begin by eliminating unuseful additives

make sure all added carbon is pre rinsed to total clarity before adding to the tank

if it doesnt clear in 48 hours do a full water change matching current temp and salinity, and cease using that additive for the rest of your reefing hobby. it's unneeded, it can't be eliminated as part of the problem, it helps with nothing. its a marketing gimmick people buy into, like highly concentrated grape juice/noni/for $60 a bottle claiming to cure every disease known to man.

did anyone get noni scammed in the early 2000's? anyone recall that $ juice for sale

how many Drs recommend noni juice for anything ever

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My salinity is a little above 1.025. I can’t test alk right now, but my corals seem to be doing good besides my goni and gsp. The bottle says to add conditioner when doing a water change, but if you guys say it’s not needed i can stop. Thanks
You need to have a decent test kit to check all your parameters especially if after a water change there is a sudden cloudiness in the tank. Make sure you have good surface ripple for gas exchange.

OP
OP
BudgetR33f

BudgetR33f

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need to have a decent test kit to check all your parameters especially if after a water change there is a sudden cloudiness in the tank. Make sure you have good surface ripple for gas exchange.
I’m in the process of getting some right now. I only have a 5 in one api test kit and a ammonia alert from seachem at the moment, but I’m going to get hanna for nitrate and phosphate and salifert for everything else. I think my hob filter provides enough agitation at the moment. Thanks again

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    123.5 KB · Views: 12

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m in the process of getting some right now. I only have a 5 in one api test kit and an ammonia alert from seachem at the moment, but I’m going to get hanna for nitrate and phosphate and salifert for everything else. I think my hob filter provides enough agitation at the moment. Thanks again
Great selection of test kits!

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you should not test for ammonia in this reef since it is done cycling. to do so only invites doubt, reactive buying, future false ammonia read alert posts. there is no time that ammonia will rise uncontrollably necessitating an ammonia test to save your tank if the tank is running normally. if it's not running normally, ie a power outage, an ammonia test does no good for you in that event. there isn't a time you'll need to test for ammonia and nitrite in this reef at all in the future. to do so means we think that those two parameters can go out of control if they're not tested in a post-cycle reef, they can't.

knowing what is likely to trip you up as a reef tester, and avoiding it, is key to your enjoyment of the hobby. don't run anymore ammonia or nitrite tests on this tank/firm advice. forget about those two parameters. measure the other ones. no matter what problem your tank has in the future, it isn't coming from ammonia or nitrite problems.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m in the process of getting some right now. I only have a 5 in one api test kit and a ammonia alert from seachem at the moment, but I’m going to get hanna for nitrate and phosphate and salifert for everything else. I think my hob filter provides enough agitation at the moment. Thanks again
You should have your powerheads creating your surface ripple. I doubt that little water fall is enough if your tank is experiencing a bacteria bloom which may last weeks.

Attachments

• 20240512_085924.mp4
    27.4 MB

KTTX

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UV sterilizer will clear it up in less than 24 hours.

Building with glass and silicone: Have you ever built a tank or had a custom tank built?

• I have built an aquarium.

Votes: 30 15.1%
  • I have had a custom tank built.

Votes: 47 23.6%
  • I have never built a tank or had a custom tank built.

Votes: 114 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.0%
Back