Water level in return pump area

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 2, Members: 0, Guests: 2)

Cunning_plan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Appreciate this is probably a stupid problem. The water level in my return pump chamber is often quite low. This results in periods where my pump ends up blasting bubbles into the display tank. The confusing thing is it's fairly inconsistent and somewhat random. It happens just as often with my pump at full speed as at half speed. Is there anything I should be looking at?

It's a red sea reefer 250 with a TMC Reef Pump 4000. Skimmer is currently turned off.

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Appreciate this is probably a stupid problem. The water level in my return pump chamber is often quite low. This results in periods where my pump ends up blasting bubbles into the display tank. The confusing thing is it's fairly inconsistent and somewhat random. It happens just as often with my pump at full speed as at half speed. Is there anything I should be looking at?

It's a red sea reefer 250 with a TMC Reef Pump 4000. Skimmer is currently turned off.

So..... even if the return pump is stable, evaporation causes the water level to drop over time.

Do you have the Auto top off reservoir filled and installed? Is it failing to add water?

Westside Guy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Reefer 250 with the V3 sump. and I believe that you should have about 6-7 inches of water in the pump section. I have noticed fluctuations also and have lowered the gate between the larger right side of the sump and the pump section and the water level will rise.

I have the Vectra S1 pump and my LFS told me that DC pumps can have power fluctuations and that can also be the cause.

Another tip is to try cleaning the black sponge behind the gate frequently as that could be blocked and preventing water to flow into the pump section.

OP
OP
Cunning_plan

Cunning_plan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Abdullah54321

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I have the same problem, would you please post how you solved it.(same tank and sump as you)

OP
OP
Cunning_plan

Cunning_plan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sure. I bought a £20 ATO off of Amazon. I set it up in the existing ATO, put the light sensor and water hose into the pump section.

Made an unbelievable difference to my tank, hadn't realised how much my salinity had been varying till o fixed it.

Phil D.

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the Red Sea Max E-250 which is similar to the Reefer 250. To increase the level of water in the return area, you have to raise the provided white float up a few "clicks". this will increase the level.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 8.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back