Water level in sump suddenly changed

DmitryB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
May 26, 2026
Messages
1,231
Reaction score
955
Location
Hunter, NY
What state or country do you live in
New York
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm sitting here minding my own business, suddenly my overflow (IM 170 INT) starts gargling. I'm like "That's annoying" I look at the sump and the water level in the first chamber (I haver rollers there) has risen. Anybody have any idea what could have happened? I opened the valve more and the gurgling stopped, but the water level in the first sump chamber is high. I was thinking could something have clogged the regular drain? I have snails crawling into the overflow chamber all the time. I'm sure I haven't caught all of them. What else could have happened?
 
I'm sitting here minding my own business, suddenly my overflow (IM 170 INT) starts gargling. I'm like "That's annoying" I look at the sump and the water level in the first chamber (I haver rollers there) has risen. Anybody have any idea what could have happened? I opened the valve more and the gurgling stopped, but the water level in the first sump chamber is high. I was thinking could something have clogged the regular drain? I have snails crawling into the overflow chamber all the time. I'm sure I haven't caught all of them. What else could have happened?
What you said is a good guess – have you gone in to investigate yet?
 
Hard to investigate! The overflow is up against the wall and I can only reach so far back. I got a flexible pipe cleaner thingy and I got that in and it got as far as the bend in the pipe, but not sure what's happening beyond that. This is a Bean Animal overflow. If there's a snail in there, it would be in the vertical pipe going down. I'm not sure if it's safe for me to remove the horizontal piece to try to clean the vertical PVC. I'd be doing all this blind, mind you. Just by touch.

Screenshot 2026-10-04 at 12.09.43 PM.png
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 7 4.5%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 11 7.1%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 27 17.5%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 52 33.8%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 2 1.3%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 11 7.1%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 6.5%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 24 15.6%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 10 6.5%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new