Water levels

altobelli10

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just moved from 125g to 250g a month ago I used the water from old tank and live rocks; added more rocks and washed old sand put it on the bottom then added new one on top, also moved from T5s to LED lights the difference is like night and day.
My question is for the first time I tested for MG since I had my setup 3 years now and the level was about 1084 lower where it should be, is there a way to get my MG up to where it should be.
My Nitrates was up so I ordered some Mangroves to add to my refugium so it will help that issue.

beaslbob

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
epsom salts and magnesium chloride will bring up the magnesium nicely. Just don't be too surprised at how much it will take.

epsom salts are available from drug/grocery stores.

I get magnesium chloride here from a local industrial supplier for around $30 for a 50 pound bag. It is also sold as an expensive road ice melter up north. but be sure to check that it is 100% magnesium chloride. Some ice melters have salt and calcium chloride in addition to magnesium chloride.

FWIW low magnesium seems to be common on long running tanks. I and another local person had magnesium down to 700-800. My 55g took like 3-4 pounds of epsom salts to get up to 1300.

my .02

Last edited:

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.1%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.7%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 26 14.8%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 86 48.9%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 54 30.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.8%
Back