Water parameters good for a pair of Clowns, wrasse and Goby?? Help!

FreshSaltyGuy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just finished testing my water. Want to go pick up a pair of Clowns and a goby and maybe just maybe a wrasse for my 40 gallon tall tank. I have 2 Damsels now but taking them back to LFS as they will give me 50% back.
Tank seems to be doing well a little algae and a little cyano but not bad as my CUC is keeping it all in check.

Here are my water parameters using all fresh Salifert tests:

PH - 8.0

Phosphates - between 0.5 & 1(1 if had to choose)

Nitrates- 0

Calcium- 490 (little high is this ok)

Alkalinity- 10.5

Magnesium- 1260

So can anyone tell me if I'm good with those fish and these parameters to add them to the 40 gallon tall tank? I believe I am but wanted to confirm please. Should I worry about my calcium? I have a frag Duncan and frag Zoa in the tank right now and they are all colorful and tentacles all reaching upward. Attached are some pics. Also,. I do not supplement with anything other than water changes every 2-3 weeks, tank running since Oct. 13, 2022 and no real cycle since I used 30 lbs of live rock from Australia and Fiji.

Thanks!

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn’t see any pics attached, but the important parameters for fish are: salinity, temperature, and ammonia. As long as your tank has zero ammonia, your salinity is matched (or very close to) your LFS and you temp acclimate your fish before adding them you’re good to go!

Those other parameters are more important for reef keeping. Your nitrates need to be higher than 0 (ideally 5-10ppm), but once you add more fish and subsequently increase feedings nitrates will rise. Your phosphates seem high for such a new tank, I would have your LFS test them to double check your results.

leo12345

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just finished testing my water. Want to go pick up a pair of Clowns and a goby and maybe just maybe a wrasse for my 40 gallon tall tank. I have 2 Damsels now but taking them back to LFS as they will give me 50% back.
Tank seems to be doing well a little algae and a little cyano but not bad as my CUC is keeping it all in check.

Here are my water parameters using all fresh Salifert tests:

PH - 8.0

Phosphates - between 0.5 & 1(1 if had to choose)

Nitrates- 0

Calcium- 490 (little high is this ok)

Alkalinity- 10.5

Magnesium- 1260

So can anyone tell me if I'm good with those fish and these parameters to add them to the 40 gallon tall tank? I believe I am but wanted to confirm please. Should I worry about my calcium? I have a frag Duncan and frag Zoa in the tank right now and they are all colorful and tentacles all reaching upward. Attached are some pics. Also,. I do not supplement with anything other than water changes every 2-3 weeks, tank running since Oct. 13, 2022 and no real cycle since I used 30 lbs of live rock from Australia and Fiji.

Thanks!
Most of those parameters are only important for corals and they’re all fine except phosphates, they should be at zero. your ammonia, salinity, nitrite and nitrate and most are most important. They should all be at zero but for a new tank nitrates should be higher, and salinity should be at 1.025.

If your ammonia and nitrites are at 0 and the goby is really small i think your good but I think you should just get the clowns first then wait a week then get the goby.

OP
OP
F

FreshSaltyGuy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most of those parameters are only important for corals and they’re all fine except phosphates, they should be at zero. your ammonia, salinity, nitrite and nitrate and most are most important. They should all be at zero but for a new tank nitrates should be higher, and salinity should be at 1.025.

If your ammonia and nitrites are at 0 and the goby is really small i think your good but I think you should just get the clowns first then wait a week then get the goby.
Got it....so quick question instead of using Phosphate removers, would it be beneficial to get a beginner coral that needs phosphates more than another that would help take it up? Any recommendations? Thanks again!

leo12345

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got it....so quick question instead of using Phosphate removers, would it be beneficial to get a beginner coral that needs phosphates more than another that would help take it up? Any recommendations? Thanks again!
your phosphates aren’t so high where they would be bad for your corals in fact its bad if your phos is at exactly zero so you dont need either its just that they shouldn’t be at that level for a new tank, are you over feeding and what test kit are you using?

Last edited:
OP
OP
F

FreshSaltyGuy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
your phosphates aren’t so high where they would be bad for your corals in fact its bad if your phos is at exactly zero so you dont need either its just that they shouldn’t be at that level for a new tank, are you over feeding and what test kit are you using?
Feed just a little food, or 1 cube of a frozen Mysis cube only once a day. I'm using the Salifert testing kit for all my readings.

leo12345

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Feed just a little food, or 1 cube of a frozen Mysis cube only once a day. I'm using the Salifert testing kit for all my readings.
I’d not know how big your cubes are but one whole cube of mysis is probably to much for the amount of coral and fish you have. Salifert and api are notorious for giving false readings so your phosphate might be fine, i would suggest getting a Hanna tester or a NYOS test kit, thats what i use. If even a little bit of pellets or flakes dont get eaten that could cause high phosphates because theres so much nutrients in them.

Back