Ammonia won’t go away

treefly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchased a tank off of Facebook marketplace. I was understood it to be a cycled tank. But when purchased I was only given 5 gallons of the water. There for I made all new water. I know my tank is acting a little funny and not opening up like it should. I bought the regular test kits and all my parameters are golden except, my ph is slightly lower than I’d like 7.5-8, and my ammonia is thru the roof. Yesterday I did a 70% water change and added like some fast cycle stuff the store gave me. This morning I check ammonia again and it’s thru the roof still. Need help.

IMG_2203.jpeg IMG_2204.jpeg IMG_2205.jpeg IMG_2206.jpeg IMG_2207.jpeg IMG_2208.jpeg IMG_2209.jpeg IMG_2210.jpeg IMG_2211.jpeg IMG_2212.jpeg

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your ammonia was thru the roof the clown would be dead
It’s prob a testing error

OP
OP
T

treefly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your ammonia was thru the roof the clown would be dead
It’s prob a testing error
So when I say thru the roof, I do mean it’s like 6.8 on the test chart, but I took a sample to the saltwater store here in town and he tested it and got the same reading and told me he’s surprised anything in my talk is alive. The rock in the tank I purchased as “life rock” as in it was dry but seeded and purple. I reached out to the person who I purchased the tank from to ask about the cycle. All my fish are eating super normal and have quite the appetite. I do k ow his power head was clogged and not running due to hair algae clogging it. Also the pump and skimmer were clogged. I cleaned all of which. Thankyou for such a fast reply.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You mean you brought a tank from someone else's home to yours and set it up the same way? That would have been a mistake. How long have you had the tank?

The sand would have been stirred up and thats why you have ammonia like that. You should have rinsed the sand very well before use.

Even the rocks, if they were out of water for some time, there would be die off, another cause for the ammonia.

The water surface looks very flat, you should point that powerhead at the surface for agitation and oxygenation.

OP
OP
T

treefly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You mean you brought a tank from someone else's home to yours and set it up the same way? That would have been a mistake. How long have you had the tank?

The sand would have been stirred up and thats why you have ammonia like that. You should have rinsed the sand very well before use.

Even the rocks, if they were out of water for some time, there would be die off, another cause for the ammonia.

The water surface looks very flat, you should point that powerhead at the surface for agitation and oxygenation.
I will point the power head differently. I didn’t keep any of his rock, however when I purchased the tank (6 days ago) I did stir up the sand a bit.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will point the power head differently. I didn’t keep any of his rock, however when I purchased the tank (6 days ago) I did stir up the sand a bit.
Unfortunately you stirred up fish poop and rotting food, thats whats happening..... lesson learned. I am sorry I don't know what to do.

Need more experienced folks on this one.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The level was reading like 6.1 atleast. The store owner gave me some like insta cycle he uses.

Do you know the brand? Not all such product are good choices.

OP
OP
T

treefly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
T

treefly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it possible for me to drain the tank, clean it, put new live sand in it, put all new water made up from the aquarium store, some instacycle and then acclimate my coral and fish back in?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 33 16.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 27 13.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 119 58.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.8%
Back