Water pump

cb1964

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello. I make my rodi and salt water in my basement. I need a pump that will pump my water up 8 feet from the basement then 35 feet to my tank then up 5 feet to the top of the tank. Does anyone have any suggestions for a pump to handle this?

TheFunnyFarm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought that you were not supposed to use a sump pump because of possible leaky seals and oil contamination?
My guess would be it all comes down to build quality. Sicce makes a utility pump specifically for aquarium use, though it doesn’t have the head height you need.

Your head height is really only the vertical distance, horizontal travel is a much lower variable due to resistance of friction and any fittings used. The calculator link below will allow you to account for distance, pipe size/material, and fittings:

There are numerous options available based on what features you’re interested in and most importantly your budget allows.

Gill the 3rd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run a iwaki external pump from my basement sump to my display. It pumps up roughly 16 ft vertically and 15 ft horizontal. They are pretty cost effective, well built, reliable and come in various models depending how much flow/head pressure you require.

I run the 70rlt model but they make larger models if need.

Edit: Forgot to mention - I run it off a Kasa wifi power strip as well. No issues

IMG_7335 (1).jpg

aSaltyKlown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked up this one, 1/2hp. My holding can is 40' away on the other side of the house in the basement. The height is about 14' once the tank height is added in. Have no issues with it. It was struggling with a 1200gph pond master, especially when the holding can was below half full.

@TX_REEF Thanks for the tip! I've been running up and down the stairs to turn mine on and off. I do use a python, so I am able to stop and start the flow upstairs. Not sure why I never thought to use one of my extra smart plugs.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 84 56.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.4%
Back