Water smells like Mildew? Is it from the brown dust in my Brute?

91yjeeper

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just did a water change using month old saltwater I stored in my garage in a Brute 32 gallon trashcan. I use ReefCrystals.

I've noticed a strong smell of mildew after the water change. I also noticed some light brown dust spots on the inside of the Brute. I've also added 2 urchins that have been spewing white stuff into the water. Not sure if that is the cause. I turned up my skimmer a bit to see what I could pull out of the water.

What could be causing this smell? Is it harmful? What should I do? All the livestock seem to be unaffected.

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The brown dust from reef crystals is normal and nothing to worry about. And storing saltwater is fine too (preferably in a sealed container). Not sure what's causing your smell. I'd run some carbon as a precaution

OP
OP
91yjeeper

91yjeeper

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! I stirred up the sand a lot before the water change and a bunch of sand got pushed around while I was putting the water back in, so I think you are on to something.

Any tips to keep the sand bed cleaner between vacuuming it?

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! I stirred up the sand a lot before the water change and a bunch of sand got pushed around while I was putting the water back in, so I think you are on to something.

Sand sifting starfish, Nassaris snails, blennies and gobies

sp1187

bird flu antidote
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

conchs

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My cucumbers sand sifting abilities will put your conch to shame!
Screenshot_20200718-212434~2.png

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

There are a ton of critters and things that will move the sand around. In my 75 with a deep sand bed I have a massive diamond goby, sand sifting star, a tiger cucumber, and a bunch of nassarius. I think my conchs are all gone thanks to my elegance coral becoming a snail death trap. How big is the tank?

OP
OP
91yjeeper

91yjeeper

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got a 29 gal. I already have a conch but it mostly cleans the top of the sand. It buries itself about once week. Not enough to stir the sand. I like the idea cucumber or star.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got a 29 gal. I already have a conch but it mostly cleans the top of the sand. It buries itself about once week. Not enough to stir the sand. I like the idea cucumber or star.

Nasarrius will move around sand when they bury themselves and are fun to watch when you feed. You could also try some bacterial products that are meant to clean the sand bed and such (waste away is one i like)

Spieg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mildew smell is probably from mildew (RODI/dechlorinated water makes it easy for mildew to become established in your reservoir). I'd clean the Brute with bleach, rinse with tap water and let it air dry for a good while before filling again.

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice! Any drawbacks to the cucumber vs Conch and nessarius?
No drawbacks. I have all 3 (actually come to think of it I haven't seen my conch in a while...). The cucumber definitely sifts the most sand though. Certain gobies might be better but not for me (I cant stand the sand storms and burying corals)

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 15 7.9%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 34 17.8%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 127 66.5%
  • Neither.

Votes: 9 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.1%
Back