What's wrong with my hammer coral? Is this brown jelly disease?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
That's what I get for impulse buying corals. It was this green hammer coral and a purple/pink torch coral. $150 down the drain but ironically the green hammer coral survived a harsh dipping (my first time) whereas the torch did not so I thought this guy was a tank. Thanks for the tip, I'll try to keep it at a moderate light location with decent flow. I'm going to remove the polypad filter and add some coral nutrients tonight.
Assure the phos and Nitrate not high already as you dont want to add coral food and raise it more

OP
OP
RooftopKorean

RooftopKorean

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d ask if you are confident in the Calcium reading. Keeping in mind, The Hanna checker is very sensitive - more sensitive then other tests.

Suggest. Make sure you’re using vapor distilled water that has no additives. Don’t trust/use your RO/DI water in the test as calcium often gets passed thru the filters and the result is an erroneously high reading (or at least check first to see if your RO/DI is having an affect on the test). For example, when I tried using my RO the checker maxed out at 600 even though my TDS reads 0. I’m now using vapor distilled and have on order some lab grade distilled as again the test is very sensitive.

Also be careful even a tiny tiny partial drop extra tank water will also get you a high reading.

Did I say the test was sensitive. It’s great and I’m very happy with mine but you have to be very precise
The hanna calcium test makes me use their deionized water so I think it should be okay since I'm not using any of my waters other than the aquarium water. Now that you mention it though, this would be a good time to check on my RO/DI and make sure the filters are all good. I didn't know it was that sensitive to where even a partial drop would affect it that much. I'm thinking of retesting because, I know I wasn't that focused on getting it to the black line. Thanks for the tip!

OP
OP
RooftopKorean

RooftopKorean

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your calcium is high because you alkalinity is so low. The cloudy water is probably a bacterial bloom. Uv will clear it. I’d take everything out of the sump (GFo etc) and let your tank balance out. Don’t address issues before they’re actual issues. You don’t want to be running GFO with PO4 at .05 that’s asking for trouble IMO. Unfortunately there’s almost no tissue on that hammer and it’s receding. At that point it’s often too late
I just learned right now that there's also going to be a power outage tomorrow for over three hours. I'm already expecting my coral to be a goner but will my two clownfish be okay you think? I'm thinking if it comes down to it, I'll go downstairs and bowl some of my aquarium water in a pot I'll never use again and try to keep the temp situated that way. I'm also going to take the GFO out right now, I thought that assisted with getting rid of the bacterial bloom but I was mistaken.

aggrofish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just learned right now that there's also going to be a power outage tomorrow for over three hours. I'm already expecting my coral to be a goner but will my two clownfish be okay you think? I'm thinking if it comes down to it, I'll go downstairs and bowl some of my aquarium water in a pot I'll never use again and try to keep the temp situated that way. I'm also going to take the GFO out right now, I thought that assisted with getting rid of the bacterial bloom but I was mistaken.
Battery operated pump will keep the tank aerated and unless your house if super cold you should be fine. Just bring up the temp of the room the tank is in.

crabgrass

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
dang, smaller tanks really are much harder than larger tanks. I unfortunately don't have a fuge but I do believe I have some nutrients from aquaforest that I could add to help with getting my alk up. Quick question, do you run your scrubber with your skimmer? how do you have you sump setup?
I have socks / skimmer and a fuge. I have the rsf59 sump which has a sizable fuge in it. Similar position as you, 2 month old tank (with some more mature rock). I do have a couple of bio bricks in the sump with live rock as well. No GFO or carbon dosing at this point. 10% WC every week.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Its less than typical shipping time and corals/fish will be fine. Some people drive three hours to a frag swap and they last all day in a bag.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back