Dried live rocks back in the water...smell baaaad! Can save it?

fr3n0z

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys, i had few rocks in my sump for few months, then i stupidly decided that i didn't want them anymore so i pulled them out and stored them (not even rinsed).

Now i made a small pico for my son and i dropped in some of those rock with some fritz. It's been 24hr and is stinks a lot.

What can i do? (acid bath out of question). I just let them ride? I rinse them a couple of days in fresh water? I drop them a couple of weeks back in my sump (scared of that).

betareef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are worms and things that burrow through rocks. Could be a considerable amount of dried living matter that is now going rotten. Have you tested for the usual cycling indicators? They'll probably climb quite high.

JTP424

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could do a couple RO soaks to try and clean out what you can.
Rinse in tap, then a few RO soaks with rinses in between is what I would recommend.

Fish Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another option would be to remove the rock and bleach-cure it. Just soak the rock in a bucket with solution of household bleach and fresh water and the bleach will oxidize any remaining organics on the rocks, which is definitely what's giving you the problem. This process may take a few weeks depending on how "dirty" the rocks are, but it's pretty effective, and a lot safer than acid baths, which I don't care for at all. Just be safe with the bleach if you try this.

If you and your son are excited to get the tank going, maybe see if you can buy a few pounds of decent live rock from your LFS, or consider ordering some aquacultured live rock and/or sand, such as what Tampa Bay Saltwater has.

Good luck!

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Hi guys, i had few rocks in my sump for few months, then i stupidly decided that i didn't want them anymore so i pulled them out and stored them (not even rinsed).

Now i made a small pico for my son and i dropped in some of those rock with some fritz. It's been 24hr and is stinks a lot.

What can i do? (acid bath out of question). I just let them ride? I rinse them a couple of days in fresh water? I drop them a couple of weeks back in my sump (scared of that).
What Fritz?
My first thought would be a great ammonia source, if the rock is in saltwater.
Didn't say if there was a lot of algae, or other organic material.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back