Water Storage Containers

John Biddle

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm looking for recommendations for 5 gallon containers, one for saltwater and one for RO/DI. Prefer hard plastic and inexpensive. Thanks in advance.

Sleepydoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
- Salt buckets (they’re kind of expensive but you get free salt! :p) Seriously, though - just get 2 buckets of salt and they you’ll be set.
- Home Depot buckets also work well - you can get water tight lids and they only cost a few bucks.

OP
OP
John Biddle

John Biddle

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
- Salt buckets (they’re kind of expensive but you get free salt! :p) Seriously, though - just get 2 buckets of salt and they you’ll be set.
- Home Depot buckets also work well - you can get water tight lids and they only cost a few bucks.
Don't know why I hadn't thought of the buckets. Guess I was just thinking along the lines of something easier to pour from, but I'm rethinking, thanks for the idea. I only have an 18 gallon reef and small sump so won't be buying much salt, but the buckets are cheap enough buying them directly. Are they safe to hold water for a long time? Assuming of course that they start out clean. I assume so if they sell the salt in them.

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the plain white buckets from Home Depot. These are food grade and white. I like the white as I can see what is in the bucket easy.

5 gal. 70mil Food Safe Bucket White

I then use a screw on lid. As I use the bucket for carrying water or animals and do not want to water splashing out of the bucket or fish jumping out.
5-gal. Screw Top Lid

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Buckets that are food grade or from salt great if you don't need to see through them. If you need clear ones, , , , , ,

• 5 Gallon (20L) Natural HDPE Plastic E-Tainer® Tight Head 70mm, Closed Vent Stem
  • 5 Gallon (20L) Natural HDPE Plastic E-Tainer® Tight Head 70mm, Closed Vent Stem

Part #: 57W70P
5 Gallon (20L) Natural HDPE Plastic E-Tainer® Tight Head 70mm, Closed Vent Stem
57W70P is a 5 gallon (20 liter) natural high density polyethylene (HDPE) plastic rectangular tight head container with a 70mm (6TPI) neck finish and a fixed handle. This tight head pail has a 100% virgin resin high-density polyethylene construction which has high impact and chemical resistance. This 5 gallon container has a tamper evident neck, 18mm (8TPI) closed back vent stem and overflow volume of 5.6 gallons (21.2 liters). Plastic closed head containers are ideal for industrial applications including storing liquids, paints, adhesives, additives, chemicals and more.

Product Specifications
  • Quantity Price
  • 1 $6.440 ea.
  • 30 $5.730 ea.
  • 90 $5.550 ea.
  • 180 $5.370 ea.
  • 360 $5.010 ea.
Packaging Detail
  • Pallet Pack: 90 ea. (3 Cases)

Shipping Estimates can be found on the Cart page once you add products.
Quantities above 30 should be even increments of 30.
Qty
Add to Cart
Availability: In Stock Quantity Available: 156

Chewbacca

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Walmart

image.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
OP
OP
John Biddle

John Biddle

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You want food grade containers as there are some plastic that dose leach chemicals.
That's really my question. If I use empty buckets from Home Depot will that be OK for long term storage? Also, I already have some buckets that held the chlorine tablets for my pool. If I clean them well and they pass a test for total chlorine after cleaning, would they be OK?

Chewbacca

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fill chlorine buckets with water leave outside in sunlight for two weeks and test

Sleepydoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I first started, I just got the plain, orange Home Depot buckets. Eventually I switched to the Tropic Marin salt and got white buckets. White is nice, but the Home Depot buckets have a nice ridge on the bottom that make them easier to grip when you're pouring water from them. Home Depot also has a smaller, 2 gallon bucket that might be a nice size for your needs.

Honestly, though, just about anything will work.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 76 44.4%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 79 46.2%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 16 9.4%
Back