Water storage question

Fotocha

I have nightmares of jumping fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so about a month I finally started storing my salt water in a brute can instead of bottles and jugs.

I’ve been running it with the lid closed and the pump connected to approx 3ft of tubing and a 50w heater running 24/7. Running only RoDi water.

First few days I noticed the tube was slimy to the touch but I didn’t give it much thought.

It’s been a few months and I went to pour some salt water and the tube has brown algae and white to rust colored stuff growing in the tube and all white and rust colored over the pump.

I took a pipe cleaner, and cleaned it but I couldn’t get all the way through the tube.

1st is this harmful?
2nd is my setup creating?
3rd what is it? Mineral deposit?

Mjrenz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's probably precipitate from the salt water and not harmful. I think there's a brs video or two on storing salt water, I'm pretty sure I remember something about some brands storing better than others but can't remember for sure

BadFish619

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So it is a bit different but I get my water here in San Diego from a place called Scripps institute. Its natural sea water that is filtered. I keep it for months without it going bad. I think it just being the tube it should be fine. I think it would stay good for a VERY long time stored correctly. As long as it doesn't smell bad it should be ok

OP
OP
Fotocha

Fotocha

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well it is a fair amount I pulled from that tubing, I’d guess and say 15ml of this silky white something

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a clear vinyl hose for water changes also. Mine also has the white/brown precip in it. I just let the water run through the hose for a few minutes, then use it in my tank. I have never had a problem in the 4 years I've used it.

This could also have something to do with the salt your using. Some have more of the "brown" crud it in then others.

mtfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally do not see a reason to keep a heater in stored man-made saltwater. Depending on the amount of water you change each time, the temperature difference should not be that big of a deal between storage tank and DT. This could be part of the problem with precipitating stuff out. As far as cleaning the tubing, do you have access to an air compressor? If so, take a wad of paper towel and push it in with your pipe cleaner. Use compressed air to blow it through the tube and it will clean out all the crud.

dbjonesjr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I use Red Sea Coral pro

When I used Coral Pro I had issues storing it as well. I believe they say not to store it anyways. I’ve had better luck with storing both Brightwell and Live Aquaria without issues (plus they fit my parameters better). The salt is probably fine to use but you’re likely seeing mineral precipitation. As for the slime I find that even storing RODI water can produce a slime on the side of the container. I wouldn’t worry about it if I was you but may test ALK to see how much you’re losing (if it’s not testing at 12+ then it’s definitely precipitating).

OP
OP
Fotocha

Fotocha

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally do not see a reason to keep a heater in stored man-made saltwater. Depending on the amount of water you change each time, the temperature difference should not be that big of a deal between storage tank and DT. This could be part of the problem with precipitating stuff out. As far as cleaning the tubing, do you have access to an air compressor? If so, take a wad of paper towel and push it in with your pipe cleaner. Use compressed air to blow it through the tube and it will clean out all the crud.

The heater

that's what I was thinking. I’ve always used one, that was my knee jerk reaction. Was to remove it.

I use to make IV bags in hospitals one of the ways we test for sterility and technique is to take a bag recently mixed bag and place it in a incubator for a few days. If your bag grew bacteria, you knew you made a mistake.

OP
OP
Fotocha

Fotocha

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I used Coral Pro I had issues storing it as well. I believe they say not to store it anyways. I’ve had better luck with storing both Brightwell and Live Aquaria without issues (plus they fit my parameters better). The salt is probably fine to use but you’re likely seeing mineral precipitation. As for the slime I find that even storing RODI water can produce a slime on the side of the container. I wouldn’t worry about it if I was you but may test ALK to see how much you’re losing (if it’s not testing at 12+ then it’s definitely precipitating).

That’s a good idea, I’ll let you know what the specs are.

dbjonesjr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
8.7 dkh , I ran it 3 times :confused: well that explains a lot.

That’s pretty typical for any salt with high ALK. Tends to stop around 8 though. At least part of your question has been answered!

OP
OP
Fotocha

Fotocha

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s pretty typical for any salt with high ALK. Tends to stop around 8 though. At least part of your question has been answered!

I wouldn’t worry about it if I was you but may test ALK to see how much you’re losing (if it’s not testing at 12+ then it’s definitely precipitating).

Im sorry correct me if I’m wrong but it should be high if it was precipitating?

Scorpius

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Make saltwater the night before you need it. I see no need to store saltwater. Store fresh water, yes.

dbjonesjr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im sorry correct me if I’m wrong but it should be high if it was precipitating?

No. Precipitating means it is falling out of the water as a solid (meaning that it is NO LONGER DISSOLVED). So the reason you see the precipitation (in the form of some kind of gunk in the water) is because it isn’t dissolved. Since it isn’t dissolved it doesn’t appear in your testing. Sorry for not being able to explain the best. I should be able to considering I’m a Chem-E major. Feel free to ask anything that I’m missing here.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 24.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 53 33.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 29.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.5%
Back