RODI going through our sink - Question

SauceyReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the BRS RO.DI unit and will be attaching it to our sink with the diverter valve. Just curious how does this work? The sink turns on, water flows through the unit, and it just starts pouring out the blue tubing? And than waste water comes out the black tube? Is it that simple? Just want to be sure I am doing everything right.

What do you normally collect your water in?

The_Paradox

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the BRS RO.DI unit and will be attaching it to our sink with the diverter valve. Just curious how does this work? The sink turns on, water flows through the unit, and it just starts pouring out the blue tubing? And than waste water comes out the black tube? Is it that simple? Just want to be sure I am doing everything right.

What do you normally collect your water in?

Usual way to do it is a splitter on the cold water line before the faucets mixing valve. Both valves stay in the open position. Without a reservoir I would just shut it off with a valve at the filters output. As for what to store it in, do you have room for a 5-10 gallon tote under the sink, behind a wall, etc?

OP
OP
SauceyReef

SauceyReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Usual way to do it is a splitter on the cold water line before the faucets mixing valve. Both valves stay in the open position. Without a reservoir I would just shut it off with a valve at the filters output. As for what to store it in, do you have room for a 5-10 gallon tote under the sink, behind a wall, etc?
Dang I wish I knew the jargon better haha. I am sorry for my lack of knowledge - cold water line?

Kristopher Conlin

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have a hot and cold water line going to a typical faucet. You only want to send cold water through the RO/DI unit.

Kristopher Conlin

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are using the adapter that attaches to the faucet threads you would want to turn on the cold water only. And then your purified RO/DI water will come out of the blue line after the deionization cartridge. And waste water will come out of the black line.

I collect my water in a 55 gallon brut trash can. I would very highly recommend getting a float valve to automatically stop the RO/DI unit when your water container is full. Otherwise you will absolutely forget and flood the room it's in haha. I have done it several times myself.

The_Paradox

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Way better the split off the cold water line than the faucet head. Assuming you have shut off valve under the sink, you should, there is no need to even turn off the main. Installation takes about 5 minutes. Not sure if your sink is npt, fip, mip, but you can visually inspect it and figure it out. Assuming it’s something like 3/8 compression this is only part you need:
3/8 compression to 1/4 T

Jamie814

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Way better the split off the cold water line than the faucet head.
While this is true many do not have the knowledge on how to do this or room for the unit under the sink. I assume the OP has this,

So it's more of an take the RO/DI unit out of the closet when you need to make water and attach it to the kitchen sink as needed. Not as convenient as a permanently installed unit but works.

Jamie814

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You only want to send cold water through the RO/DI unit.
Technically the best water temperature for optimal filtration and production is about 77°. I have one of those cheap stick-on temperature gauges on the first sediment filter housing to monitor incoming water temp and have a washer mixing valve feeding the unit so I can run water in the 70-80° range. :) It has the additional benefit of preventing the unit from sweating/rusting and dripping water all over during times of high humidity since the water going through the unit is at about room temp

Last edited:

Kristopher Conlin

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Technically the best water temperature for optimal filtration and production is about 77°. I have one of those cheap stick-on temperature gauges on the first sediment filter housing to monitor incoming water temp and have a washer mixing valve feeding the unit so I can run water in the 70-80° range. :) It has the additional benefit of preventing the unit from sweating/rusting and dripping water all over during times of high humidity since the water going through the unit is at about room temp
That's a good idea. I know hot water can ruin the membranes so I always run cold out of caution.

Lucky I have never has any issues with sweating or dripping water.

OP
OP
SauceyReef

SauceyReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have a hot and cold water line going to a typical faucet. You only want to send cold water through the RO/DI unit.
haha sorry I over thought that one! Thank you very much for your help. Does the water start coming out the RODI unit in seconds once the sink gets turned on? Or takes about a minutes to go through it all? I definitely will be getting a float valve before using it for the tank! Good advice.
Way better the split off the cold water line than the faucet head. Assuming you have shut off valve under the sink, you should, there is no need to even turn off the main. Installation takes about 5 minutes. Not sure if your sink is npt, fip, mip, but you can visually inspect it and figure it out. Assuming it’s something like 3/8 compression this is only part you need:
3/8 compression to 1/4 T
House renter here. First I made the unit transportable and attached it to a large wood plank and added a handle on top for transportation. No way this will fit under the sink, nor do I have much knowledge on basic plumbing. Also I am moving from this house in 5 months! Had to make sure to make it transportable.

While this is true many do not have the knowledge on how to do this or room for the unit under the sink. I assume the OP has this,

So it's more of an take the RO/DI unit out of the closet when you need to make water and attach it to the kitchen sink as needed. Not as convenient as a permanently installed unit but works.
Yes that is exactly what I am using, and a well described strategy I am taking. Honestly that is pretty much exactly what is going to happen lol. I have small nano tanks so wont have to whip it out to often, and made the unit portable. Thank you for the solid info.

Kristopher Conlin

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
haha sorry I over thought that one! Thank you very much for your help. Does the water start coming out the RODI unit in seconds once the sink gets turned on? Or takes about a minutes to go through it all? I definitely will be getting a float valve before using it for the tank! Good advice.
It take about 30 seconds to a minute to run through fresh empty filters and membranes. However that will only be true for the first time that you use it. Once you shut your tap water off the filters canisters and ro membrane will retain some water. So next time you turn hook it up it will come out much quicker.

OP
OP
SauceyReef

SauceyReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It take about 30 seconds to a minute to run through fresh empty filters and membranes. However that will only be true for the first time that you use it. Once you shut your tap water off the filters canisters and ro membrane will retain some water. So next time you turn hook it up it will come out much quicker.
Makes sense - thank you!

Manpeckz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a 10 gal brute for my nano. Just nice to have a large amount of RODI for top off and then a water change if you need it.

Reign1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes most ideal is using the cold water adapter , I use the garden hose adapter .... IN my situation we have a utility sink in the garage but previous owner had water split off as we have an extra washer so I just bought a tee and use the garden hose adapter.. I use two 15 gal poly tubs but with this new setup I likely need a 40-50 gallon barrel.

OP
OP
SauceyReef

SauceyReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question : do I have to remove this plastic piece on the new DI filter? I’m guessing no

Attachments

• IMG_1965.jpeg
    IMG_1965.jpeg
    160.9 KB · Views: 25

Kristopher Conlin

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are referring to that black rubber ring you want to leave that on. It's the gasket that makes sure water is not bypassing the cartridges.

OP
OP
SauceyReef

SauceyReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are referring to that black rubber ring you want to leave that on. It's the gasket that makes sure water is not bypassing the cartridges.
I am sorry let me clarify - I meant the see through plastic cup thing upside down on top of the black rubber ring. It’s at the very top in the middle you could pour soem water in it theoretically.

OP
OP
SauceyReef

SauceyReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is my roughly made but almost working setup I added another housing cartridge from my old unit to a new BRS 4 stage. Before I add the DI on the right side just wanted to double check I don’t have to take that see through plastic upside down cup piece. That is part of the filter, right?
IMG_1966.jpeg
IMG_1965.jpeg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 24 14.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 13.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 95 57.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.7%
Back