RODI problem

VietExtender

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I just got to our new house in Seattle and am trying to set up my rodi. Problem is water goes through and a little bit stops at the di resin and then no more water goes through at all. When I brought my rodi over, I didn’t mess with any of the tubing to my booster pump. The rodi was inactive for about two months, could the membrane possibly be dried out? (read this could happen). I’ve never had this happen and am not sure what could be the problem. Also when I turn the water off, it comes back out the red tube where it came in.

IMG_1528.jpeg IMG_1530.jpeg IMG_1529.jpeg

Reef Psychology

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Easy way to find out where the pressure drops is to disconnect the line out of each stage. If it’s the membrane the OUT and waste lines will only trickle out. Replace the media that’s causing the problem. Generally, you don’t want any of the stages to go dry after it has been in use.

Joe31415

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure if membranes can dry out and/or if they can be rehydrated and/or if there would be any damage from being dry, but you could certainly try leaving it on for a while (and maybe power cycle it a few times so it runs a bunch of water past the membrane) and see if it manages to push through the membrane.

As for the water coming back out, I wouldn't worry about that until you figure out why it's not getting past the membrane section. If the water can't make it to the end, it's going to build up a bit of pressure, especially if there's still air in the lines, and it's going to have to go somewhere.

Just make sure you double check all your plumbing. If you're sure nothing has changed since the last time it worked, that's great, otherwise make sure to check over all those lines. I tried, but I think one of those lines changes color so it's hard to tell. For example, the far left carbon filter has a yellow line coming out of it. It should be connected to the top right port on the pump, where I see a yellow line.
Something you could do is pull the line out of the membrane inlet and run the pump with that going to the sink. Make sure the water is making it that far. If it is, then pull the two lines waste lines, one at a time, out of the pump and they should both have water coming out of them. Find out where the water is stopping (in the pump? the filter? the tube?) and work backwards until you find the problem or at least find out where it is and we can go from there.

OP
OP
VietExtender

VietExtender

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pick a place to start and test to see where the restriction is.

Instructions for Filmtec membranes say they must remain wetted.
Yeah just tested for restriction. Water came out of prefilter (sediment filter + carbon block) and then nothing came out of membrane tube.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 85 56.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.3%
Back