Water test kit

Rxb09a

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m new to the saltwater fish hobby and will be setting up my Biocube 32 in the next few weeks. I’m currently purchasing supplies I will need.

So I have been looking at buying a water test kit. I really don’t want to break the bank on this kit but would also like a kit that includes most of the tests I will need. I would rather not buy each individual test. API is the cheapest I have seen but have read some bad reviews. What is yalls opinion on the Red Sea Marine Care Test kit? It comes with tests for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, ph and alkalinity for about $50. Anyone have any experience with this kit?

sugwhite84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey pretty new my self to the hobby just some advice from someone who’s made the mistake already.

First off take your time don’t rush it. Find a brand and stick with it if it’s Red Sea API or any other company.

So API gets bad reviews because of lazy people. If you follow the directions and it works. To the T if it says shake the bottle for 30 seconds sake it for 30 seconds that easy. If not you can get a false reading.
Good luck have fun

Jason mack

Monti madness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the begin say first 2-4 months you will only need too test for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate phosphate , . once your done with the cycle you can add the big 3 too that list alk mag and calc ..and .. personally I’d go for saliferts Red Sea or Hanna ..

cgdcinc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
[emoji121]️ I agree. I have used API Reefmaster and Saltwater test kits and like them. Just follow the directions and record your results each time. Granted I just have lps and softie tanks. For hard corals you may want more precision.
Paying attention to your tank and testing every week and keeping a log works. Happy testing!

jimmyzhou

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
[emoji121]️ I agree. I have used API Reefmaster and Saltwater test kits and like them. Just follow the directions and record your results each time. Granted I just have lps and softie tanks. For hard corals you may want more precision.
Paying attention to your tank and testing every week and keeping a log works. Happy testing!

API are good. But a lot reefer can’t get the color right. That is the only part I hate on api.

OP
OP
R

Rxb09a

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay thanks for all the quick responses. I’m going to either go with Red Sea or salifert.

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R! Salifert's nitrate & nitrite tests allows more precision in determining both high and low concentrations.

Last edited:

jimmyzhou

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Salifert are 18-20. Red Sea pro are 35-50 I think. I got one redsea nitrate use ones. That’s all lolz. That was a big waste

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 161 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back