Saltwater starter test kits

BlueSallymandr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got back from a LFS, where I was going to buy test kits for cycling and monitoring my new saltwater tank that I just set up. But the store clerk told me that the API Freshwater Ammonia and Nitrate tests are the same as their saltwater ones, and I already own the freshwater kit for my other tank. Is this true? It feels wrong, lol, but I didn't buy the saltwater kit.

PS. this isn't a troll post, I'm just confused.

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, the API ammonia and nitrate kits can be used for both salt and fresh water.

Bear in mind that the ammonia is extremely hard to read and often doesn't show quite right.

Personally I prefer the Red Sea test kit for ammonia. :upside-down-face:

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got back from a LFS, where I was going to buy test kits for cycling and monitoring my new saltwater tank that I just set up. But the store clerk told me that the API Freshwater Ammonia and Nitrate tests are the same as their saltwater ones, and I already own the freshwater kit for my other tank. Is this true? It feels wrong, lol, but I didn't buy the saltwater kit.

PS. this isn't a troll post, I'm just confused.
If you are starting a tank where you may eventually have coral, please don't waste money on API test kits.

You will have to replace them with something more accurate so it is better buy the proper kits now and save yourself money.

Salifert are cheap and reliable.
Red Sea are more expensive but also good.

Stang67

KEEP CALM AND REEF ON
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you already have the fresh kits they are good to cycle your salt tank with. Don't worry so much about the #s just watch for a decrease in ammonia and an increase in nitrates. Once the ammonia gets down to yellow your good as long as nitrates are orange. Do a water change and you should be cycled.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back