Water testing

GillMeister

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I learned yet another valuable lesson today. After doing this as long as I have i might actually be at the point where I'm forgetting old lessons learned.

Anyway. Listen up.

Test strips suck.

I've been testing KH with test strips and getting results around 6.75 for weeks now. I've been dosing soda ash to increase alkalinity with no perceived changes to the test results. Today. I got my reagent test kit delivered and ran a test.
Guesss what? dKH is over FOURTEEN! The test strip weren't in the ballpark. I don't even know if they were playing the same game. Now I need to figure out f I did some damage to my tank citizens.

WIReefer

608 MOD SQUAD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad you got the right reading. Would recommend the Hanna Alk tester, I’ve never played around with the strips.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never understood how a test strip can even theoretically measure alkalinity accurately in seawater. At best, they would be measuring bicarbonate in freshwater and assuming it is the only contributor to alk and that all bicarbonate is freely available to bind to the strip. neither is true in seawater.

OP
OP
GillMeister

GillMeister

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never understood how a test strip can even theoretically measure alkalinity accurately in seawater. At best, they would be measuring bicarbonate in freshwater and assuming it is the only contributor to alk and that all bicarbonate is freely available to bind to the strip. neither is true in seawater.
Well, I think I just lent some credence to your theory, Randy.

OP
OP
GillMeister

GillMeister

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Test strips are not meant for saltwater, even if they say they are.
I somewhat agree. Maybe strips aren't an accurate way to test kh but they shouldn't be completely wrong. I had an indication that my KH was too low when it was actually far too high.

OP
OP
GillMeister

GillMeister

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm still monitoring my KH, Ph, and Ca levels daily. I don't have a heavy bio load yet which is probably why my levels aren't moving in the right direction. Most concerning is the high KH of 14 with pH at 8. All windows open, HRV cranked to 11. I would think my pH should be higher. Calcium is at 400, BTW.

I read that high KH with low pH is a sign that something is VERY wrong.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Strips and badges, i never trusted or relied on them especially when they are approved for saltwater usage also.
Nothing like a lab grade kit

OP
OP
GillMeister

GillMeister

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Screenshot_20200923-134443_APEX Fusion.jpg

Still seeing massive swings in my pH. Alkalinity is 10.5 now. The lower the alkalinity the more the pH swings i see and i don't know how much higher i can safely go.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Screenshot_20200923-134443_APEX Fusion.jpg

Still seeing massive swings in my pH. Alkalinity is 10.5 now. The lower the alkalinity the more the pH swings i see and i don't know how much higher i can safely go.

I don't see a big concern. More aeration will reduce the pH swing, but may also keep the pH lower if the aeration is with high CO2 indoor air.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 74 45.1%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 75 45.7%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 15 9.1%
Back