Water testing

Peter luu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi I tested my water as I’m cycling and wondering if this means I should do big water change.

If something is off, what should I do?

I used live rocks from lfs and cycling additives and today would be 7th day

0337B14A-DC7E-405E-95F1-F78C46F91342.jpeg 5FF24627-6245-4D00-99E3-048359B4CEA0.jpeg 4725A83F-9468-48F4-9EDD-A8A00C51E6ED.jpeg C481B4A2-E6B5-41CD-BFC7-F6BE66F733EB.jpeg

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You got better eyes than me if can make them colours out,in nitrite on colour chart should be light blue - dark purple but is just all blue ha ha

Looks like amnonia is 0.50 and nitrite is not got a clue and nitrate is 0 or 5 or 10 or 20.
Ph looks like a frozen blood sample ^_^
But joking aside any photos shown are best in white lights and for you doing the test it best to do in daylight with natural sunlight behind you and on api test hold vial slightly away from the white part of card next to colour chart but not touching it.
If used true live rocks people often say its instant cycled but if buy from a lfs ovbiously they need to keep adding dry rocks to the stock as people buy it and if you buy from top of the pile ,the rock maybe only been in for a day or even an hour ( guess you would never truly know) but cycling a tank = start with amnonia then gets converted to nitrite then to nitrate and as nitrite rises amnonia starts to fall and as nitrates rises then nitrites start to fall but 7 days only early so i personally would just wait little longer ( there some neat graphs that show nitrogen cycles expected progress)
And nitrite is not toxic to marine animals unless very very high and nitrite can give false readings on nitrate levels.
Lots threads on here about dont trust api test kits and @Brandon done lots research on cycling,try look some his threads as if use certain bacteria in bottles then he says certain time frame till can add fish.
Im no expert and with my api test kit it took 2 months to drop below 1 ppm using seachem stability and even ghost fed at begginning.
But if proper live rock from lfs and transported home in water or kept damp then would be very little die off from it i would of thought.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 24 29.6%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 18 22.2%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 21 25.9%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 18 22.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back