Water, water everywhere...

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I currently have an Eshopps PF-1200 over the top overflow installed on one of my tanks. It comes with two siphon tubes that go over the top and into the external overflow.

Imagine my surprise when I checked on my tanks this morning to find that the siphon failed and all the water was pumped from the sump into the tank, and consequently, on to the floor.

Now this particular overflow has always given me a problem when it comes to keeping a siphon in both tubes. Initially they take water and function well. But after some amount of time (an hour or so), one tube always loses its siphon.

Apparently, BOTH lost their siphon causing the flood.

Yes, I know I should drill the tank (and I usually do). But I will be moving and I don't want to drill it to install here when I may have to change the plumbing at the new house.

So my question is: How can I prevent this from happening again?

I'm off to shop vac the carpet.

Thank you,
Dom

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t know how you could fix/prevent the problem but you could get a leak detector and put it on the floor so you get alerted of it happens and you aren’t nearby the tank. It can send you alerts and I think some can even kill power to outlets

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Start with pumps as the output may be yoo high. Please provide video if possible to see what is happening when system is running.

OP
OP
Dom

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Start with pumps as the output may be yoo high. Please provide video if possible to see what is happening when system is running.

This overflow is currently installed on a 125 gallon. Previously it was installed on a 40 gallon without any issue.

I was wondering if the added head height (an additional 26 inches) is contributing to the problem.

The pump is a Danger Mag drive rated at 750 gph when installed at 36 inch head height. I'm wondering if the added head height is causing the overflow to drain faster than the pump can return causing the siphon to break.

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like your return isn't pumping enough water back to keep the overflows full to prevent syphon loss. You need to increase the output and if that isn't possible maybe run with a single tube.
I used the same overflow on a 150g for years with no issues. The 180g in my aquarium show case has been running with two eshopps hob overflows for close to 8 years. I have never lost a syphon even with power outages. I just replaced the my u tubes with a larger diameter and I had to increase my flow to get the bubble to pass through the u tube. An adjustable return pump be it DC or fixed rate pump with a gate valve to control flow is a must when running HOB overflows IMO.
EDIT : the key is to have more pump than you need and adjust it accordingly. To weak a pump just doesn't cut it with HOBs

OP
OP
Dom

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like your return isn't pumping enough water back to keep the overflows full to prevent syphon loss. You need to increase the output and if that isn't possible maybe run with a single tube.
I used the same overflow on a 150g for years with no issues. The 180g in my aquarium show case has been running with two eshopps hob overflows for close to 8 years. I have never lost a syphon even with power outages. I just replaced the my u tubes with a larger diameter and I had to increase my flow to get the bubble to pass through the u tube. An adjustable return pump be it DC or fixed rate pump with a gate valve to control flow is a must when running HOB overflows IMO.

I did run it on a single tube for a long time. Then this happened. LOL

When I was running on a single tube, the overflow worked perfectly. I think the redundancy of two tubes is critical, as this experience clearly demonstrates.

OP
OP
Dom

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll post a video and photos this evening.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
This overflow is currently installed on a 125 gallon. Previously it was installed on a 40 gallon without any issue.

I was wondering if the added head height (an additional 26 inches) is contributing to the problem.

The pump is a Danger Mag drive rated at 750 gph when installed at 36 inch head height. I'm wondering if the added head height is causing the overflow to drain faster than the pump can return causing the siphon to break.
Added height would cause this as well as pump flow

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did run it on a single tube for a long time. Then this happened. LOL

When I was running on a single tube, the overflow worked perfectly. I think the redundancy of two tubes is critical, as this experience clearly demonstrates.
Two tubes is to increase the flow not for redundancy. At least that's my take on it but I'm not all that smart lol. The ones on my 180g only have single tubes.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get a smaller sump so that it can’t overflow the tank when the siphoning stops.

I have always been terrified of siphon overflows and I am sorry you have to deal with a wet floor. Hope it never happens again.

OP
OP
Dom

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two tubes is to increase the flow not for redundancy. At least that's my take on it but I'm not all that smart lol. The ones on my 180g only have single tubes.

Agreed, two tubes for increased flow. But two tubes has the added benefit of redundancy. If I had two tubes in place, this post would never have existed! LOL

OP
OP
Dom

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get a smaller sump so that it can’t overflow the tank when the siphoning stops.

I have always been terrified of siphon overflows and I am sorry you have to deal with a wet floor. Hope it never happens again.

Ditto.

I am using a big sump. I keep the level between 4 and 5 inches. I liked the idea of it so that there was plenty of room for back flow if there is an outage.

But you never think of it the other way around. You never say "hey... if my siphon breaks, will the display be able to hold the water in the sump".

I figure the water loss to be about 8-10 gallons. Not terrible but enough to be a pain.

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am using a big sump. I keep the level between 4 and 5 inches. I liked the idea of it so that there was plenty of room for back flow if there is an outage.

But you never think of it the other way around. You never say "hey... if my siphon breaks, will the display be able to hold the water in the sump".

I figure the water loss to be about 8-10 gallons. Not terrible but enough to be a pain.
Not sure if its possible but having a small return chambers just for the pump can help. Pump will burn up if It runs dry but no flood.
I still think there is something wrong with your set up tho if your loosing syphon.

OP
OP
Dom

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure if its possible but having a small return chambers just for the pump can help. Pump will burn up if It runs dry but no flood.
I still think there is something wrong with your set up tho if your loosing syphon.

Yes, that absolutely would have helped.

Lately, I've been on a baffle-less sump kick. I couldn't see a downside to having a wide open sump.

This experience certainly answers the question "why subdivide a sump?"

FYI: I'm only losing siphon in one of two tubes.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 85 56.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.3%
Back