Water, water everywhere...

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FYI: I'm only losing siphon in one of two tubes.
Thats what will happen if the return pump can not provide enough flow for both of them.
The only way they can loose syphon is if the overflow level is low which happens if there is not enough flow from return pump or the water level is too low in the system.
While I'm typing this I had a thought. My u tubes have one side shorter than the other. I wonder if yours are the same and one has the long side inside the tank and the other the short side in the tank? It's only about 1/4" but it would explain why one tube lost syphon and the other did not. I still say you need more flow from the sump but this may explain part of the issue :thinking-face: 20240112_171343.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dom

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats what will happen if the return pump can not provide enough flow for both of them.
The only way they can loose syphon is if the overflow level is low which happens if there is not enough flow from return pump or the water level is too low in the system.
While I'm typing this I had a thought. My u tubes have one side shorter than the other. I wonder if yours are the same and one has the long side inside the tank and the other the short side in the tank? It's only about 1/4" but it would explain why one tube lost syphon and the other did not. I still say you need more flow from the sump but this may explain part of the issue :thinking-face:

Yes. It was recently suggested that I drop the overflow deeper into the water as the tubes may be too close to the bottom of the overflow.

I do know that the tubes can be unequal. And I did inspect the tubes and they seemed equal. I'll have to take another look.

I'd really like to get to the bottom of this issue.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 82 56.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.9%
Back