Waterbox 110.4 Return pump mesh

leighton.bingham

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone that has a Waterbox 110.4 have you left in the mesh/baffle that is in between the skimmer area and the return pump area? The reason I ask is that mine flows terribly slow causing the return pump to run dry. I removed it now my tank is flowing perfectly.

Beau_B

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a larger WB, and have the foam block in place. Sounds like you're trying to run a very high turnover. What pump/settings are you using?

Beau_B

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a big pump. At 50% setting, half way between 530-1450gph that's roughly 1000gph. With head loss something less, but likely over 800gph which is 10x turnover for that tank. That's recommended by some, but most target around 5x (myself included).

I would try turning the pump all the way down and see what results you get -- if you want to run the mesh. Otherwise carry on. Plenty of sumps don't have secondary mechanical filtration. It's there, in my mind, to prevent debris from reaching the pump, particularly if a refugium is being utilized... chunks of algae do get loose!

OP
OP
leighton.bingham

leighton.bingham

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a big pump. At 50% setting, half way between 530-1450gph that's roughly 1000gph. With head loss something less, but likely over 800gph which is 10x turnover for that tank. That's recommended by some, but most target around 5x (myself included).

I would try turning the pump all the way down and see what results you get -- if you want to run the mesh. Otherwise carry on. Plenty of sumps don't have secondary mechanical filtration. It's there, in my mind, to prevent debris from reaching the pump, particularly if a refugium is being utilized... chunks of algae do get loose!
Good call on the debris. Thanks for all the help.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 17 28.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 50 83.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 9 15.0%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 6 10.0%
  • Other

Votes: 3 5.0%
Back