Waterbox 130.4 Lighting

zoous

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm planning to get a pair of Ecotech Marine XR15w Pro for the tank. Would this be more than sufficient for an SPS tank? Let me know what you think?

Huff747

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Probably a lot depends on how tall your rocks are, how you mount the lights, etc. I had 3 over a 6ft tank that wasn't as wide front to back nor as deep and I rented a par meter and found I was pretty low. I added on the Aquatic Life Hybrid and it was better. But now after upgrading to a bigger tank I'm up to 5 XR15s and the Aquatic Life fixture and I'm still not hitting crazy par numbers (AB+ program going to 90%).

OP
OP
zoous

zoous

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Huff747 are you saying I would be probably better off with two Ecotech Marine XR30 Pro?

Tank is 48x24x22

Huff747

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I don't really want to tell somebody to double the money they're spending and unless somebody comes along with that exact setup most of us can only guess. If I were going to suggest something it would probably be start with the 2 XR15s and rent a par meter and see where you're at. I could be completely wrong as my rocks aren't real high and I was running with the AB+ program. I did test a couple different intensities and even with them cranked there was a lot of spots that were lower than I wanted. Directly under the light on a high point of rock I was getting good numbers but that meant basically 3 spots, one under each puck at the highest point of the rock. How you run them/mount them will impact the par. But I wouldn't be shocked if you find that you're not quite where you want to be with just 2.

BRS has some good videos on lighting with their BRS/WWC hybrid method and they kinda seem to prefer more XR15s so you can space them differently over XR30s.

I also like my Aquatic life Hybrid fixture and feel like it helps with some of the shadowing.

So short version from some random guy over the internet that doesn't have that same tank or know much about your plans, if you want 2 XR15s I'd start there, rent or borrow a par meter and just be prepared that 2 may not be enough.

Huff747

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
PS - If it helps at all you can see my current setup in post 21 https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/huff’s-750xxl.590567/page-2 and going from memory (my notes are at home) when I test with a MQ-200 (not the underwater one) with all 5 XR15s running at 90 and all 4 T5 bulbs on (2xblue+ and 2xCoral+ I think) there isn't a single coral that's above 400par after calculating the correction. If memory serves there are a couple spots that get close but most are closer to 300.

OP
OP
zoous

zoous

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also was think about the Orphek Atlantik V2 as well. BRS has a great review on them.

Last edited:

tqpolo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two XR15's is not going to be close to enough for SPS. Personally I like the Illumagic for the spreads or go safe and go two XR30's.

OP
OP
zoous

zoous

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
tqpolo what kind of tank do you have and how many illumagic?

tqpolo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
tqpolo what kind of tank do you have and how many illumagic?

I have two XR30's Pro on a Reefer 350. If I set up a tank today I would go for the 48" Illumagic. I like the smaller pucks but more of them. The overlapping lights prevent any hot spot and create a more well lit tank.

OP
OP
zoous

zoous

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the two xr30 Pro are they gen 4? any shadowing?

tqpolo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the two xr30 Pro are they gen 4? any shadowing?

They are G4 with diffusers. The diffusers are only help for color blending but not for spreads. I get shadowing front to back and not side to side.

What I don't like is how strong they are right underneath the light. The diffusers should help with hot spot too but the PAR difference away from the center is large.

OP
OP
zoous

zoous

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Watched a video on the Illumagic. Very good light. The software is not great and the fans are loud.

OP
OP
zoous

zoous

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now I'm leaning towards the Orphek Atlantik V4.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 24 29.6%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 18 22.2%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 21 25.9%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 18 22.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back