j_wilson_reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Everyone!
Long time lurker , first time poster.

I took a break from the hobby about 3 years ago, been keeping fish for around 15 or so years.
However working from home thanks to Covid, has me itching to setup another tank. So I did. :)
Not sure what i want in it yet. (softie, macro, or hell maybe a little of both)

Equipment:
Waterbox 16 mini
Since i didn't really want to go ALL out i added a XP Aqua Surface Skimmer and Media Reactor which right now only holds some filter floss. Cool little in tank overflow/ skimmer.
Jebao WP-10 with controller (old , i know) :)
Ehiem 100w heater
Ocean Revive LED
Small battery powered controlled LED light for sunrise effect. I think i found it at Home Depot.

"Livestock":
30 lbs of Carib Sea substrate
15lbs Real Reef Rock

Attached are some pics along the way. Hope I can keep up the updates on here, Its really cool going through 70 pages and seeing everyone's progress.

We are officially 1 week into the cycle

Hopefully I get better at taking pics along the way.

Enjoy!

Bare tank.jpg Cloudy Tank.jpg XPAQUA.jpg Tank shot 1.jpg Sunrise.jpg

WIReefer

608 MOD SQUAD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First off welcome to R2R!!! Looks like your off to a great start. Don’t forget to link you build thread and get that badge! Makes it very convenient for navigating and others can see easily.

TriggersAmuck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome back! (They always return! :) What do you think of the quality of the basic Waterbox tank? I just realized they have a size I have been looking for (especially since I don't want the all-in-one insert).

My first marine tank ever was a basic 15 gallon, 2 foot tank like yours, and I have to say it is amazing how flexible that size can be provided one doesn't start doing silly things, like raising a Volitans lion (did that) or a juvenile Queen Angel (also did that).

That XP-Aqua is a clever device to add surface skimming and a safe place to put an ATO. I loved the XP ATO, but as I do not have an enclosed place to place it (no sump, nor the box you mentioned) my purple pincushion urchin managed to almost flood the tank when it decided the ATO looked yummy. :)

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 40.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 18 25.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 31.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.9%
Back