Waterbox 190.5 Build

Wunderpus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All,

I hope everyone is well! I wanted to make a little thread about my new Waterbox 190.5 build.

It's been up and running about a month now, with a few "trial" corals from Battlecorals (so far everything is doing well, just one stag RTN'd overnight probably from shipping). As a side note, Adam @Battlecorals has been nothing but a pleasure to work with for a while now... He consistently sends me top-notch stuff, I cannot recommend him enough. Also, there is a blue carpet anemone in there that I just HAD to get and risk it surviving, it was the prettiest and most metallic one I've ever seen. So far, so good on it.

I cycled the tank using Microbacter-7, Turbostart and Biospira... I've done this before and it's worked in the past. I figured MORE bacterial strains, the better.... Tank "cycled" in just a few days and there have been zero fish mortalities thus far.

Anyway, currently, I have a few fish in there too. I have a regal angel (one of my "dream" fish), a pair of blue jaw triggers, a venustus angel, a queen angel, a chocolate/mimic tang and a coral beauty (I don't think I'm forgetting anyone?). I'd like to add a few more rarer angels and tangs, any suggestions? Also, I am sure there will be fairy wrasses too, as that's one of my true loves.

The plan is to make this full SPS paradise... I'll be running ZeoVit on it (already up and running). I'll be running BRS two-part with Tropic Marin Balling Part C for Mag and trace elements. The salt used is Tropic Marin's pro salt.

Equipment:

2016 Apex Gold
Neptune Trident
ZeoVit Reactor
A few Neptune DOS's (one used for an AWC, the rest for dosing ZeoVit, two-part, etc.).
4 Radion XR30s
Neptune Cor 20 pump
An Eshopps skimmer (I can't remember the model)

Any advice on running a big SPS tank would be appreciated, as the largest SPS tank I've personally owned was 60 gallons... So, this is a big step up! Attached is a pic and a video, I'll get some more quality stuff for viewing when I'm home.

Thanks all!

200-1.jpg

OP
OP
Wunderpus

Wunderpus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a little update video after adding some anthias and a few more frags... I'm really growing to love the blue carpet anemone, too... Even though it's already eaten one cleaner shrimp!

OP
OP
Wunderpus

Wunderpus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That looks awesome so far. I am really jealous of that blue carpet nem!!
Thank you! I'm growing to love it, too. It's weird, it's almost like a huge coral with character, if that makes sense? I've never kept a carpet before, only bubble tips, so this is new for me. So far, so good... Minus the "cleaner shrimp incident", he's been on good behavior.... I do worry about feeding it, though, as the angels are very curious about the food it has... I'd hate to lose a nice fish to it.

NPD_289

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice tank and set up. Wish I had a suitable spot for a 190. I'm currently setting up a 100.3.

OP
OP
Wunderpus

Wunderpus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice tank and set up. Wish I had a suitable spot for a 190. I'm currently setting up a 100.3.
Thanks for the kind words! The space was literally perfect (within a few inches) for this tank, so I had to pull the trigger!

OP
OP
Wunderpus

Wunderpus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a little update on the tank for you guys....

So far, the Zeovit method seems to be working well. I'm out of the "ugly" stage now, and the water looks pristine. I believe I added too many fish, too soon, and caused a bit of a nutrient spike which resulted in some algae and bacterial blooming, oops. However, things seem to have balance now and all corals and fish seem happy. I have only lost one coral so far, however it was a acro frag that I cut from the plug, so RTN was a reasonable risk and I assume that's what happened (it was dead overnight).

Overall, Zeovit is more complicated than I realized and definitely a bit of a pain to do all the drops 1-2 times a day.. I will put the ones I can on dosers, which will be a bit pricey, but worth it.

Now the tank is hooked up to an auto-water change, as well... I can't believe people keep tanks without these. They are truly life, and floor, savers.... Best $250 you can spend.

NPD_289

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hoping one day to set up an AWC system. Until then, I will just live vicariously through your set up...lol

OP
OP
Wunderpus

Wunderpus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hoping one day to set up an AWC system. Until then, I will just live vicariously through your set up...lol
It's not too tricky! Do you have an Apex? If so, you just need a DoS and 2 containers...

NPD_289

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's not too tricky! Do you have an Apex? If so, you just need a DoS and 2 containers...
I have Apex, it's just putting holes in walls that I can't do. Until my dream home in Florida, I will continue hauling buckets from the basement. "Pain is weakness leaving the body."

OP
OP
Wunderpus

Wunderpus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have Apex, it's just putting holes in walls that I can't do. Until my dream home in Florida, I will continue hauling buckets from the basement. "Pain is weakness leaving the body."
Haha! If your tank allows it, you could always use 2 5 gallon buckets under the sump, or hidden somewhere? I'll tell you what, AWC changed everything for me... I would recommend it to anyone who has the ability to do it.

Also, you can use conduit, as I did, to hide the tubing.... I didn't drill 1 hole... I just ran it above the floor board in conduit... Looks pretty clean and is easy to open up and fix if needed.

Vstryker

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you describe and show some pics of your AWC system using DOS? I also plan to do this as well. How much water are you changing a day, and where do you have your drain, salt and fresh water stationed with respect to your tank? I have the same dimensions waterbox, but a peninsula style. TIA.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Wunderpus

Wunderpus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you describe and show some pics of your AWC system using DOS? I also plan to do this as well. How much water are you changing a day, and where do you have your drain, salt and fresh water stationed with respect to your tank? I have the same dimensions waterbox, but a peninsula style. TIA.
Yes, sure, I'll take some tonight :)

This system takes out 3 gallons a day. They are about 20 feet of tubing away, but directly behind in the room behind the tank. The drain lines drain into a storage room sink. It's very simple to do... You just need 1 DoS and 1 water container, or 2 containers if you don't have a drain to go into.... I was using a bucket but the drain is superior, literally zero work.

Basically, the DoS pulls water from a salt storage container and pumps it into the tank while simultaneously removing the same amount of water with the other DoS head.

OP
OP
Wunderpus

Wunderpus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another update!

So, I've added 2 Neptune WAVs and the Neptune ATK v2.... I love the WAVs, truly, they seem great.... For the money, I think they're the best pumps... The controllability and ease of use cannot be beaten. Obviously the MP40s/60s/10s are great, but they get pricey once you add a few to the tank.... So, I went with this option and I'm so far very happy.

As far as the ATK v2.... Well, I messed up and didn't add the siphon stop they provided, as I thought it was just a union. Unfortunately, that led to a siphon that lowered my SG to 1.023... Shoot... But, everything looks okay. I'll let it evap a bit and allow the AWC to increase the salinity back slowly. Shoot... I really can't believe I did that... I'm glad I caught it, could've nuked the whole tank.... They really should put a little warning label on the siphon break saying "MUST INSTALL" as it looks simply like a coupler for extending the RO tubing.... Again, oops....

Now, back to ZeoVit... So far, things are still going well on that front. I am a BIT tired of dosing 2x a day, and I can't wait to automate some of this process. However, the tank does look remarkably clearer today and I think the "ugly" phase is over. The folks n the ZeoVit website have been very helpful, if anyone is interested in running Zeo, check them out.

All corals look happy and I added a cleaner wrasse to the crew yesterday. I've always wanted to keep one, and I think I finally have a tank with enough fish to justify it.

Still patiently waiting to find a nice goldflake angel.... What other fish do you folks like and suggest for a 200 g SPS reef?

OP
OP
Wunderpus

Wunderpus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Excuse the obvious mess here, I still need to perform some cable management and finish the floors... But, you'll get the idea...

Essentially, tap water flows into the RODI filter, then into the tower on the right. That water is fed to the display tank via a Neptune ATK 2. The water also can flow (if I open the valves and turn on the pump) into the tower on the left. This tower holds the saltwater (and obviously mixes it using the pvc pipes that go from top to bottom to circulate the water).

After the salt is made, the two DoSs pull the water out and send it to the respective tanks (one for the tank that this thread is based on, then the other to my LPS/softie tank). The DoSs pull water from the sumps of those two tanks at the same rate in which they fill. I have the "remove" lines at the "beginning" of the sump, and the "add" lines going to the "end" of the sump to prevent somehow just pulling the new and clean water. The dirty water then goes to the adjacent laundry room's sink.

Lemme know if you want more help setting yours up, it's pretty simple once you can see how it works.
awc.jpg

hobbyreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sweet setup. I placed an order for the Waterbox 6226 last night. Your setup is pretty much exactly what I'm going for. I also have a 7 inch carpet anemone in my 30L. I did lose a small mimic tang and a few emerald crabs that wondered too close... so loses are certainly possible. I was planning on 3 XR30s with diffusers for an SPS dominant setup. Is 4 the right number? Your tank looks great. I cannot wait for mine to arrive.

ShaggyRS6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All,

I hope everyone is well! I wanted to make a little thread about my new Waterbox 190.5 build.

It's been up and running about a month now, with a few "trial" corals from Battlecorals (so far everything is doing well, just one stag RTN'd overnight probably from shipping). As a side note, Adam @Battlecorals has been nothing but a pleasure to work with for a while now... He consistently sends me top-notch stuff, I cannot recommend him enough. Also, there is a blue carpet anemone in there that I just HAD to get and risk it surviving, it was the prettiest and most metallic one I've ever seen. So far, so good on it.

I cycled the tank using Microbacter-7, Turbostart and Biospira... I've done this before and it's worked in the past. I figured MORE bacterial strains, the better.... Tank "cycled" in just a few days and there have been zero fish mortalities thus far.

Anyway, currently, I have a few fish in there too. I have a regal angel (one of my "dream" fish), a pair of blue jaw triggers, a venustus angel, a queen angel, a chocolate/mimic tang and a coral beauty (I don't think I'm forgetting anyone?). I'd like to add a few more rarer angels and tangs, any suggestions? Also, I am sure there will be fairy wrasses too, as that's one of my true loves.

The plan is to make this full SPS paradise... I'll be running ZeoVit on it (already up and running). I'll be running BRS two-part with Tropic Marin Balling Part C for Mag and trace elements. The salt used is Tropic Marin's pro salt.

Equipment:

2016 Apex Gold
Neptune Trident
ZeoVit Reactor
A few Neptune DOS's (one used for an AWC, the rest for dosing ZeoVit, two-part, etc.).
4 Radion XR30s
Neptune Cor 20 pump
An Eshopps skimmer (I can't remember the model)

Any advice on running a big SPS tank would be appreciated, as the largest SPS tank I've personally owned was 60 gallons... So, this is a big step up! Attached is a pic and a video, I'll get some more quality stuff for viewing when I'm home.

Thanks all!

200-1.jpg
Most certainly watching this with mucho interest!!

OP
OP
Wunderpus

Wunderpus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sweet setup. I placed an order for the Waterbox 6226 last night. Your setup is pretty much exactly what I'm going for. I also have a 7 inch carpet anemone in my 30L. I did lose a small mimic tang and a few emerald crabs that wondered too close... so loses are certainly possible. I was planning on 3 XR30s with diffusers for an SPS dominant setup. Is 4 the right number? Your tank looks great. I cannot wait for mine to arrive.
For me, the 4 Radions is perfect. Hell, I've even debated adding 1 more then putting diffusers on them all... Maybe soon? I run mine at 80% power... So, I think 3 at around 100%, maybe 14-16" above the tank would be perfect. I wanted them a bit lower, so I went with 4 using lower power...

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 78 76.5%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 10.8%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 7 6.9%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back