Waterbox 20 front glass replacement

aSaltyKlown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello - I picked up a WB20 for $50 off a local reefer that had some scratches on the front glass. I tried to sand the scratches out and it came out pretty good for my first attempt. However, it's not great and when filled with water I can slightly see where I sanded/polished. I'm sure I can continue to polish, but I am not able to get all the way to the edges and the deep scratch goes from edge to edge and I find this too much for me. I'm not even OCD, however, it bugs me. I have yet to set the tank up. Has anyone replaced the front glass of a Waterbox tank? I'm sure it's no different than any other. I have found a place to get a low iron panel cut for $85. I'm wondering if it's worth throwing another $85 and time into it or just get another tank? Thanks

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It might be a fun project if your handy and have the time

OP
OP
aSaltyKlown

aSaltyKlown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
...and this is the conundrum, :) I'm still in the process of finishing the stand, and have plenty of time. Spend an extra $150 and get new or spend $100 and fix it. Either way, the $100 is accounted for. I need to price out some local glass companies, as the ones I looked at so far were online. If I do fix it, I'll post the repair job here.

daileyo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd vote for getting the new tank. I think if would be totally worth doing for the sake of the project; if you enjoy doing that stuff. But if it doesn't turn out the way you like, you may end up just wanting to get a new one anyway.

Alternatively you can give it a try, and plan ahead to use it as a quarntine tank or refugium where it is out of site or less of a focus point (if it doesn't turn out) Then you get the benefit of getting to try out fixing it...but not the end of the world if it doesn't turn out and you end up wanting a new tank anyway.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.0%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back