Waterbox 20 reboot

Thunderrap

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I cannot stand my old tank with all the HOB gear and everything sitting in the tank so I’m somewhat “starting over”. Just got my new Waterbox Cube 20 in along with the Icecap K1 nano skimmer and the new rock. I built a stand for it myself and I must say I’m pretty proud of it for my first project like that. Going to get the aquascape built and then start getting it cycling. Going to actually do pictures of the whole process this time! Here is the first one with the tank sitting on the stand. I’ll paint the stand first too before the tank gets filled with water.

3D0BE598-9579-43B9-81C6-DEED95771133.jpeg

OP
OP
Thunderrap

Thunderrap

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aquascape is ready and in the tank, will be adding sand soon and also placing a few pieces of rock from my old tank to help seed bacteria and to keep it going while I transfer the livestock.

IMG_5094.jpg

OP
OP
Thunderrap

Thunderrap

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank has been transferred over, I rinsed the sand from my old tank and put it in along with a piece of rock and the bio-media and some Dr. Tim's one and only so hopefully there's enough bacteria for the minimal bio-load. Everyone seems to be doing okay so far but time will tell

IMG_5104.JPG IMG_5103.JPG

OP
OP
Thunderrap

Thunderrap

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added some "floating" rocks to the left and back of the tank. The one on the left will be a scrambled egg and red bull zoa garden and the one on the back I'm trying to see if I can get a ricordia mushroom to grow (I might add a few different colors if I can). So far the transition to the Cube 20 has been a huge success and I love how everything seems to be happy and growing!

IMG_5130.jpg

stylolvr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the aquascape - never done the floating rock before but interesting! I love the idea of zoa/acan/micromussa gardens - opportunity to frag as they grow out but not taking over the tank. Looking forward to watching your setup mature. Nice job so far!

OP
OP
Thunderrap

Thunderrap

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the aquascape - never done the floating rock before but interesting! I love the idea of zoa/acan/micromussa gardens - opportunity to frag as they grow out but not taking over the tank. Looking forward to watching your setup mature. Nice job so far!
Thank you so much! I hope I get to the point where I can start fragging and trading.

Dcole12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really like the looks of that stand! How much did that end up costing you to build? I like that.. I want to downsize my tank from a 46 gallon bow front to one of these AIO 20 gallons.. Until I buy my next house.. Then will be upgrading to a 100+ gallon.

OP
OP
Thunderrap

Thunderrap

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was around $400ish, i reused the sand from my old tank with some really good rinsing, and the heater and light. All I had to buy was the tank, rock and got an icecap k1 skimmer. Just picked up an ato as well so if I include that around $460

OP
OP
Thunderrap

Thunderrap

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That looks awesome! How has the protein skimmer been working and love your layout of the rocks!
It is a workhorse, it took a little bit to break in and then get it dialed in but once I got it to where it needed to be it has been skimming like crazy.

Matt Miller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in the planning stages waiting for my 20 waterbox also, yours looks good to me.
Have you considered using chaeto the center of the overflow? I watched cichlid bros did a cube and I was thinking about doing it also.

OP
OP
Thunderrap

Thunderrap

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That might not be a bad idea, right now I've got a UV sterilizer and the skimmer in the middle section but I could probably get some chaeto going in there.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 71 53.0%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 68 50.7%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 34 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 30 22.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.7%
Back