Waterbox 220.6 Stocking Advice

jonny_milner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,
So I’m putting together a fish wish list for my new Waterbox 220.6. The attached photo is what I have got it down to so far. I understand that not everything can stay on the list but I’m looking for any advice on anything that definitely won’t be compatible and needs to come off. I’ll be only choosing 2 or 3 of the wrasse but ideally I’d like to keep all the tangs.
Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

image.jpg

BigAquaBob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I am not mistaken you are going to have a hard time keeping same types of tangs together. Powder brown and blue while beautiful are very picky and can get stressed out easy. Just something to consider.

OP
OP
J

jonny_milner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s 72.3"×25.3"×23.6". I was hoping to add the tangs all together or in two lots to help with any aggression. I’m getting a 3’ quarantine tank so can do them together and it’s also there if an aggressor needs to be removed.

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your list mostly looks okay, I think, except that the 3 Acanthurus Tangs can be some of the more aggressive ones plus prone to ich, especially the Achilles with a reputation for being a very difficult fish but the other two are also known for being pretty difficult Tangs. Yellow and Purple may get along but no guarantee. I’ve seen it done before with success. For the Acanthurus I’d probably just pick your favorite. Maybe consider Genicanthus angels if you want an alternative? You could have a pair of Spotbreasts, Bellus, Watanabei or Semifasciatus. Lamarck’s are the largest I think, so probably just do one if you want a Lamarck’s. Regal Angels are hard to keep, best to get one from the Red Sea, you could even try for a pair though I’m not sure how that’s done. Some of the other medium sized angels like the Goldflake (Bali Aquarich has Captive Bred ones) would also make nice additions IMO. There’s also dwarf angels. Ask @OrionN on how to pair them or keep a harem.

Might want to check how big the Pudding Wife Wrasse gets. Is it a Halichoeres?

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

jonny_milner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your list mostly looks okay, I think, except that the 3 Acanthurus Tangs can be some of the more aggressive ones plus prone to ich, especially the Achilles with a reputation for being a very difficult fish but the other two are also known for being pretty difficult Tangs. Yellow and Purple may get along but no guarantee. I’ve seen it done before with success. For the Acanthurus I’d probably just pick your favorite. Maybe consider Genicanthus angels if you want an alternative? You could have a pair of Spotbreasts, Bellus, Watanabei or Semifasciatus. Lamarck’s are the largest I think, so probably just do one if you want a Lamarck’s. Regal Angels are hard to keep, best to get one from the Red Sea, you could even try for a pair though I’m not sure how that’s done. Some of the other medium sized angels like the Goldflake (Bali Aquarich has Captive Bred ones) would also make nice additions IMO. There’s also dwarf angels. Ask @OrionN on how to pair them or keep a harem.

Might want to check how big the Pudding Wife Wrasse gets. Is it a Halichoeres?
Thanks a lot for that reply. I had genicanthus angels on my original list but then read they might be a bit of a risk with corals.
I might have to reconsider the three acanthurus. They would be last to go in so plenty of time to decide on those.
Would a hippo be a good replacement for the acanthurus or is my tank too small? I’ve read mixed answers on that.
The pudding wife is a halichoeres. Just checked how big it grows though and says up to 16” in captivity so think that one will be coming off the list.

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah scratch that wrasse off your list. I think some of the Hogfishes can be very pretty, especially the Lyretail and Cuban Hogs, not sure how good they are to other fish or to corals.

The smaller Hogfishes like the Peppermint and Yellow Candy are beautiful fish too.

A Hippo? I’m not entirely sure. It says they get to 11-12” but that might be record size. According to a book by Rudie Kuiter he lists a max size of about 10.5” but then remarks “usually does not exceed 8 inches in the Indo-Pacific.” I don’t know what size they should be expected to attain for a specimen grown from a smaller size. I’d ask.

OP
OP
J

jonny_milner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah scratch that wrasse off your list. I think some of the Hogfishes can be very pretty, especially the Lyretail and Cuban Hogs, not sure how good they are to other fish or to corals.

The smaller Hogfishes like the Peppermint and Yellow Candy are beautiful fish too.

A Hippo? I’m not entirely sure. It says they get to 11-12” but that might be record size. According to a book by Rudie Kuiter he lists a max size of about 10.5” but then remarks “usually does not exceed 8 inches in the Indo-Pacific.” I don’t know what size they should be expected to attain for a specimen grown from a smaller size. I’d ask.
I’ll take a look at the hogfish. Thanks.

kingjoe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,
So I’m putting together a fish wish list for my new Waterbox 220.6. The attached photo is what I have got it down to so far. I understand that not everything can stay on the list but I’m looking for any advice on anything that definitely won’t be compatible and needs to come off. I’ll be only choosing 2 or 3 of the wrasse but ideally I’d like to keep all the tangs.
Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

image.jpg
Looks pretty good, but I would echo the concerns expressed here over the number of Acanthurids. Not saying it can't be done, but it is risky. Perhaps you could cancel one of the powders or the Achilles. I don't know if you're considering A. nigricans or A. japonicus as your powder brown, but nigricans is beautiful in its own right, very much resembling the Achilles but not quite as striking. If you go with your preferred group of tangs, make sure there is sufficient territory in your tank for each to have his own sleeping spot. Try to keep dissolved O2 at saturation levels, and ensure that you've got copious water movement; the Achilles demands it. Finally, feed them heavily on the seaweed, preferably treated with Selcon, Zoe, and vitamin C.

OP
OP
J

jonny_milner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks pretty good, but I would echo the concerns expressed here over the number of Acanthurids. Not saying it can't be done, but it is risky. Perhaps you could cancel one of the powders or the Achilles. I don't know if you're considering A. nigricans or A. japonicus as your powder brown, but nigricans is beautiful in its own right, very much resembling the Achilles but not quite as striking. If you go with your preferred group of tangs, make sure there is sufficient territory in your tank for each to have his own sleeping spot. Try to keep dissolved O2 at saturation levels, and ensure that you've got copious water movement; the Achilles demands it. Finally, feed them heavily on the seaweed, preferably treated with Selcon, Zoe, and vitamin C.
Thanks a lot for the reply.
Yeah my tank is going to be set up with lots of flow with the Achilles in mind. I’m going to be running 10x turnover through the return with a pair of Maxspect XF350 gyres for the flow.
Again with the tangs in mind I’m going to create my aquascape with plenty of caves for them.
I love tangs so the tank will be designed around their needs. Especially the Achilles as it’s my favourite of them all.

kingjoe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks a lot for the reply.
Yeah my tank is going to be set up with lots of flow with the Achilles in mind. I’m going to be running 10x turnover through the return with a pair of Maxspect XF350 gyres for the flow.
Again with the tangs in mind I’m going to create my aquascape with plenty of caves for them.
I love tangs so the tank will be designed around their needs. Especially the Achilles as it’s my favourite of them all.
Sounds like a good plan. I just put the first fish for my 180 build in quarantine, and I'm set on an Achilles and Powder Blue sometime in the coming year.

OP
OP
J

jonny_milner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice. I hope it all works out. I wonder if you’ll still be able to source an Achilles easily after the Hawaii ban?
I’m in the UK and at the minute I know a few places that can get them. One of my lfs has 3 or 4 in currently. They’re aren’t cheap though. You’re looking at about £500.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 1 3.7%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 20 74.1%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 18.5%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 1 3.7%
Back