Waterbox 50.3 Build

Jvanpelt89

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ordered my Waterbox 50.3 AIO. The tank is on backorder until the middle of July but I've been compiling some of the gear and a livestock list to get it up and going. Feel free to make some suggestions. It will be another LPS and fish heavy tank. Finishing up building the stand while waiting on the tank delivery.

Equipment List:

(2) AI Prime 16HD
Mighty Jet DC Return Pump
IceCap K1-50 Skimmer
IceCap Gyre 2k
Intank Media Basket
*possibly some chaeto in one of the chambers with the IM fuge light.

Livestock List:

(2) Ocellaris Clowns - Frostbite or Mocha Storms
Mandarin Dragonet
Orchid Dottyback
Highfin Goby / Randalli Pistol pair
Blue Spotted Jawfish
Bangaii Cardinal
Purple Firefish
***Open to any other suggestions on fish!

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

Jvanpelt89

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are some pics of the progress on the stand.

949CE0D1-B898-4656-8DF2-4187362DC5C5.jpeg E6A37BF2-1286-458F-8B25-BA2AE3EAA1B4.jpeg B5FAA18D-4AC0-4D3C-B6D3-EF2A015FDFDA.jpeg A9315718-10E4-4400-92DA-2AE5FA65CA48.jpeg

SofishticatedREEFER

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve got my pros an cons with waterbox I’ll start by saying I absolutely love the tank. I do have a few minor squabbles with the tank the first being I would have definitely appreciated 2 extra teeth on each weir to allow for slightly faster flow through the rear my second issue is insignificant and will be addressed with a light mod that I planned to do anyway. the 1/2” to 1/4” y locline nozzle is positioned a little higher than I’d like but I plan to extend each tip with 3 locline bits and the vca 1/4 flow randomizer

SofishticatedREEFER

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ahh I figured out a issue which I’m sure your bound to notice smoked rear glass not black when my lights are on you can see the water move through the rear chambers what Kind of equipment do you plan on using on that bad boy

SofishticatedREEFER

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Other than the light return an gyre n skimmer Ato? Uv? I decided to forgo a skimmer call me crazy but I’m running a pax bellum as my main nutrient export

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ordered my Waterbox 50.3 AIO. The tank is on backorder until the middle of July but I've been compiling some of the gear and a livestock list to get it up and going. Feel free to make some suggestions. It will be another LPS and fish heavy tank. Finishing up building the stand while waiting on the tank delivery.

Equipment List:

(2) AI Prime 16HD
Mighty Jet DC Return Pump
IceCap K1-50 Skimmer
IceCap Gyre 2k
Intank Media Basket
*possibly some chaeto in one of the chambers with the IM fuge light.

Livestock List:

(2) Ocellaris Clowns - Frostbite or Mocha Storms
Mandarin Dragonet
Orchid Dottyback
Highfin Goby / Randalli Pistol pair
Blue Spotted Jawfish
Bangaii Cardinal
Purple Firefish
***Open to any other suggestions on fish!
As you may know, the Mandarin will be a challenge without a refugium and pods, unless it will take mysis. And they can be jumpers so consider a cover. Love my orchid dottyback and bangaii cardinal. The cardinal got confused when the bubble tip he hung out in split and 1/2 moved to the other side of the tank. He roams between the 2 now.
Get the chaeto and some pods.

OP
OP
J

Jvanpelt89

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ahh I figured out a issue which I’m sure your bound to notice smoked rear glass not black when my lights are on you can see the water move through the rear chambers what Kind of equipment do you plan on using on that bad boy

So luckily, this is my second Waterbox, I have a cube now in my office and the smoked glass doesn't bother me too much. As far as equipment, I'm going with an IM Mightyjet for a return pump, BRS Titanium Heater, Icecap Gyre 2k, Autoaqua Smart ATO with IM 5g reservoir, Icecap K1-50 Skimmer and (2) AI Prime 16hd.

OP
OP
J

Jvanpelt89

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As you may know, the Mandarin will be a challenge without a refugium and pods, unless it will take mysis. And they can be jumpers so consider a cover. Love my orchid dottyback and bangaii cardinal. The cardinal got confused when the bubble tip he hung out in split and 1/2 moved to the other side of the tank. He roams between the 2 now.
Get the chaeto and some pods.

Luckily I have another established tank and have a mandarin in there which I have had excellent luck getting to transition to Mysis so I'll be using the same method for a new one. I'm also very picky with fish at the LFS so I always make sure they're accepting frozen before I bring them home. As far as a lid, I've got one from Top Lids already on order but not super worried about it while it's cycling.

SofishticatedREEFER

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Luckily I have another established tank and have a mandarin in there which I have had excellent luck getting to transition to Mysis so I'll be using the same method for a new one. I'm also very picky with fish at the LFS so I always make sure they're accepting frozen before I bring them home. As far as a lid, I've got one from Top Lids already on order but not super worried about it while it's cycling.
+1 on the top lids lid going for one with a warm white moon light and the fusion frame

SofishticatedREEFER

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice work..your moving quickly what kind of salt are you planning to use an what kind of sand I for some odd reason stalk all the 50.3 builds since I set my tank up

OP
OP
J

Jvanpelt89

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice work..your moving quickly what kind of salt are you planning to use an what kind of sand I for some odd reason stalk all the 50.3 builds since I set my tank up
I’ve actually always had really good luck using reef crystals so since I have that for an established tank, I’ll keep using it. I’m one of those “if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it kinda guys. As for sand I’m using the Carib Sea Bimini pink with some crushed coral mixed in.

SofishticatedREEFER

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went with salinity it’s been the salt that I used on my previous rsr250 I love the Bimini pink sand I went with natural reef tho more uniformity in the grain size n slighter larger allowing for more flow but I did buy a bag of the bimi pink just to pick out the large pink pieces

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 46 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 21.5%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.7%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.7%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 32 24.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back