Waterbox 60.2 vs RedSea Reefer 170

  • Thread starter Thread starter rdm190
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

rdm190

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Jun 1, 2026
Messages
2
Reaction score
2
Location
PA
What state or country do you live in
Pennsylvania
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone,

I’m new here, but not new to the hobby. I have been out of the game for 10+ years. My last tanks were a 29aio and a 46 bow.

I had good luck in the past (until I got lazy). Then life, marriage and children took over. Well, I’d like to get back into it (with my kids!).

I am really down to these two systems. I have read mountains of posts on Red Sea, but none of the failures seem to be on the 170 or 200. If I’m wrong there, I guess I’ll just write the reefer off.

But with that being said, I’m also open to other suggestions. I am looking to minimize maintenance and have a system that can tolerate a week or so without my intervention, if I leave.

While I certainly have a budget, I’m willing to spend money to make this a long term tank. I have no intentions to upgrade, nor is my home (or wife) suitable for a large tank.

Honestly, I’m leaning to the WB, but the cabinet looks very cramped. The Red Sea looks to have a little more space to setup.

I’d like to keep the system largely contained to the stand, not things stacked along side it.

Goals are some easy, colorful fish (small load) and soft and lps mainly. I’d love to try a few sps but I do not need to build a sps dominant tank, mostly due to cost, maintenance, etc.

I know a lot of the basics, I’m trying to catch up and re learn. I also need to slow. Down. This. Time. I did things way too fast in the past.

I appreciate all this forum has to offer and look forward to more.

Cheers,

Ryan
 
Any RS tank gets a hard pass for me. Google or search here for redsea tank failures before making a decision is my recommendation.
I'll never buy another RS tank.This is my reefer 170 that had a seam fail in the upper right corner.

image.jpg

PXL_20250122_232313890~2.jpg



This is my reefer 300 seams. I just ordered an Eshopps Mariner MP100 to replace the tank.

PXL_20260102_155910680~2.jpg


PXL_20260204_003200097.MP~2.jpg


I have a larger WB 330.7 and have no complaints.
 
Any RS tank gets a hard pass for me. Google or search here for redsea tank failures before making a decision is my recommendation.
I'll never buy another RS tank.This is my reefer 170 that had a seam fail in the upper right corner.

image.jpg

PXL_20250122_232313890~2.jpg



This is my reefer 300 seams. I just ordered an Eshopps Mariner MP100 to replace the tank.

PXL_20260102_155910680~2.jpg


PXL_20260204_003200097.MP~2.jpg


I have a larger WB 330.7 and have no complaints.
Well, then maybe the RS is out. Happy to take advice and guidance on the WB and my goals.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 9 5.4%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 12 7.2%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 27 16.2%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 57 34.1%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 11 6.6%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 11 6.6%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 26 15.6%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 12 7.2%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new