Waterbox 7225 Chicago SPS Reef

Perry

Follow me on IG- perrys_reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mark,
How I haven't seen this journal is mind blowing, but glad I just stumbled into it, because your aquarium is amazing! Wow, wow, wow!!! Absolutely gorgeous corals, all of them, but you're acros, DANG :) Well done, just looked over the journal, subscribed ;) Cannot wait for future updates.
Cheers,

OP
OP
mfollen

mfollen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you!!

Unfortunately the Latezonatus clowns have been moved, as they were quite the pigs on the bioload :)

The Conspic angelfish as well I have in a new system as it eventually developed an expensive taste for those acro. Can’t blame it.

joroscoe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful set up! I have been out for 10 years and looking to get back in. I am in Chi too and am looking at same Waterbox you have but want to go slow and do it right!

theasherrr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright so it's been a little bit, but I finally got the waterbox back on track.

To say the tank has been through a lot since March is a major understatement. There's been highs and lows, but mostly lows including a SPS crash, tank completely overrun with turf algae, prazipro resistant flukes, I'm sure there's more battles I've had to overcome not mentioned. And Im not kidding on the turf algae battle:
IMG_5366.PNG

Major thanks to R2R helping me get through these battles and get the tank back on track. Thanks @Chaswood79 @EmptyWallet @motortrendz @ScottB for being super resourceful, creators of Vibrant (thank you) & @aquavista99 @therman & Todd & Brett @CherryCorals getting the acros restocked.

Tank is frag land again, but encrusting!

My brother created a custom canopy to hide all the XR15's which really took the peninsula look to the next level. All powerheads are on the back end too, so its nice and clean up front.

IMG_5200.jpg

I'm still waiting for things to really settle, coralline is slowly kicking in so in the meantime here's some shots of the best part of the tank, the fish!

Always hungry Quoyi Parrot:
IMG_5403.jpg

The gang:
IMG_5435.jpg

Scopas Yellow Hybrid:
IMG_5422.jpg

Updates will be more frequent when the coral nubs are less nubby.
Reviving this thread because I’m looking for a canopy exactly like that. Any chance you’d share the details on how your bro made it?

OP
OP
mfollen

mfollen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reviving this thread because I’m looking for a canopy exactly like that. Any chance you’d share the details on how your bro made it?

He used a polyurethane finish to lock in a white satin enamel paint.

I’d think about how you will mount the canopy as the plywood will make it heavy.

You can go a foam route instead!

OP
OP
mfollen

mfollen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This was one of my favorite tanks. What's up Follen?

Hey Scott!

The tank lives on!… as an angelfish FOWLR, they love to munch on whatever coral I put in.. even toadstools!

I ended up moving out of my apartment in Chicago out to the burbs. To prep I sold off acros and moved what softies and LPS I could.

I started with brand new rock in the new system, so technically this system is still running in the waterbox just not with coral.

Once I get the lighting fully operational I will keep this thread up to date as it is now fully running in its second life : )

0E98A30F-6C72-4299-84AB-958BD7E58C59.jpeg

88D1F828-FDF4-45E7-80E9-C78DC15C2461.jpeg

D66A72E1-9095-41FF-AF79-D7A269D396D8.jpeg

OP
OP
mfollen

mfollen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well it’s been a little while now and I think it’s about time for a little update. I just installed some new lighting and am getting more free time to show this tank a little more love moving forward.

This tank still certainly lives on and with some ever growing beauties residing in it
073D7B14-CEE6-42FE-835D-784A30641DA0.jpeg

EAC9A0C4-4CAA-490B-95A5-2C28F11E11DA.jpeg

I’ll be making more updates as this tank begins to evolve again.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 30 15.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 111 58.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.3%
Back