Waterbox aquarium 10 gal nano cube tank. with xr/15 and mp10

Joe G

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

My name is Joe.
I’ve been out of the hobby for two years now.
Prior to that I had a couple successful reef tanks. Since January I’ve been getting real itchy after being bit by the reef bug again. It got me at a sea food restaurant that had a 50 gal reef with some leather corals and anemones. I remember looking at it feeling disappointed at how terribly unmaintained it was. Then that thought got me looking at old pics of my past tanks which lead to me stalking tanks on reef2reef. I enjoy reading people’s builds and seeing all the amazing reefs out there. Hats off to all u super creative masters at reef keeping . I blame u for getting me back to this beautiful and stressful hobby.

Then the debate in my head began to go back and forth like a tennis match.
On one hand, I was getting burnt out,which at the end, got me out of the hobby. I had to much invested and it became more stressful then enjoyable. On the other hand, I missed watching a tank grow out, and the challenges that come with it.
Then there is the expense factor to consider, I’m sure everyone here knows the upfront money in investing in a tank is a smack in the face, not to mention the monthly cost of food, test kits, salt, chemicals, live stock ect ... It quickly adds up.

So after weeks of deliberating, I managed to convinced myself that I wanted a tank again.
I still had to get over the hurdle of convincing my wife lol.
She immediately reminded me of all the complaints I used to have and tried to talk me out of it, even so she reluctantly agreed “if it makes you happy, to go for it”.
That’s one of the reasons she’s the best!

Now, I was at the point where I really had to do some math and figure out what I wanted, and how much I was gonna have to save up.
My wife’s only request was no junky looking mess in her living room, so I had to choose something modern and clean looking.
I know I had to have a controller because it makes things much easer in the long run.
It also had to be a smaller tank, something easy to manage with a busy schedule.
I live in a condo, on the top floor, and I once had an 80 gal but, I used to get anxious worrying about a leak that would dump 80 gal of saltwater on all my neighbors.

So after carefully considering my options, I would eventually purchase a redsea reefer 43 gal tank.
The up front cost of the tank and all the equipment was too expensive to purchase all at once. So I slowly started purchasing all the gear. Thanks to reef2reef, most of the gear purchased was pre owned. I needed to save money where I could. I’m going to try to buy the redsea on a Black Friday sale, if possible.
For now, I purchased a water box aquarium 10 gal tank.
So after all that said here is my first nano build.
I got some BRS dry rock cycling in the tank as of May 1, 2018
I added bio digest bacteria from the LFS. I would have preferred Dr Tim’s, but that’s what the LFS had, and I did not feel like paying for priority-shipping for drTim’s . I did use dr Tim’s ammonia to feed the bacteria.
I’ve never tried the bio digest, so hopefully it works . I have also never tried starting a tank with all dry rock.
I’ve had much success with live rock in the past, but it also comes with the burden of all types of hitchhikers. I hope to avoid battling these types of pests, this time around.

Gear list
Waterbox 10 gal cube
Radion xr15 gen 4
Mp10
Tunze 3155 Ato
Apex classic
Heater
10 pounds of brs dry rock
Black sand at wife’s request not sure if it’s staying

It’s been almost three weeks since I started the cycling process.
My ammonia is at 0 and my nitrite and nitrate are both sky high.

I will be patiently waiting over the next few weeks to months for them to level out and pass all the algae phases .
I will keep you guys posted when the cycle is complete, and I’m ready to add live stock.

Thanks for checking out my build !!

92161600b471ccd213fddd5bdadd7db0.jpg
c40e61b6095c564152e05c653f9e4d31.jpg
d7004ea329748e222ae58a743b9d37fb.jpg
6a37aa591a55b67aa2cfb1e681900ebe.jpg
750949c4b0fe82667767b76801737258.jpg
6c577d09fec0f96377d2dfd8d43db67d.jpg
d73bf8ad4240f22d8d1639b5fc0b1aed.jpg
2c3f46c8d790e522a001ce75668bf5ea.jpg

81721c86f662278fb5c2f25d37e6c3da.jpg
93565b940acd26362eed5f25608183a5.jpg
9dbfd3b0df3ddf36d97dfbe07ed1c8f0.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Joe G

Joe G

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
#mywwccontest
#reef2reef
#worldwidecorals

I could really use a win rite now so wish me luck!

OP
OP
Joe G

Joe G

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I got home today and tested water chemistry with api marine basic test kit.
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 0
Ph 8.2
Salinity 1.024
IMG_5711.JPG

IMG_5712.JPG

I have some old Hanna testers for calcium alkalinity and phosphate . All the solution is expired since 2017 so I’m going to order more soon. I’m tempted to use them to save the extra money but it was stored out doors in a shed and exposed to blistering Florida heat for a good 2 years.
I never really liked the phosphate tester, so I’m considering getting a new one.
I’m open to recommendations on an easy to use reliable phosphate test kit.

IMG_5708.JPG

IMG_5709.JPG
IMG_5710.JPG

Now that the cycle has zeroed out, I’m going to start running the Radion XR/15 gen 4.
I’ve run the gambit of lights from metal halides, Vho bulbs and T5’s. So with this baby nano tank, I decided to go with Ecotech LED’S.I always thought all the options the Radions offer were fantastic.
But now that they’re set up over the tank, I have way too many options.
I have no clue how I want them set up and with so many options, how does one choose?
The goal for the tank is to have an appealing look and most importantly, keep my corals colorful and healthy. Since I got the apex, I decided to by the Neptune’s WXM to control both my XR/15 and mp10.5
I chose a scheme from the recommended options.I can’t remember the name of it though. It’s a 12 hour light period, starting from 12-12 ramping up with a gradual sunrise sunset vibe.
It’s currently at 40% max, but I’m sure I’m going to lower that once I put new live stock in to acclimate it all.

Please if anyone out there is an expert with radions, I would love recommendations.
Apex setting used for mix reef systems that colors the coral up nicely would be ideal.

061c850cd85390bfe71800da7bd9a5a4.jpg

Unfortunately, there won’t be any coral in the tank for a while. I want to wait out the algae blooms, the next phase of the cycle. I am ready to grab a couple snails hermits ect... It would be nice to see some life in there.

I’m not sure exactly what I want to do for fish in this tank .
It’s so small, that it limits most of my favorites? but I’m thinking eventually I will add two fish.
I’m also open to suggestions on fish selection? Peaceful friendly types are preferred.

That’s it for now, besides going to a really cool local frag swap on June 1 to see whats for sale.Hopefully I’ll get some ideas of what I’m gonna stock the tank with in the future.

190a970517cb301e801eacad34b9cdce.jpg
7c492e4eda7e01ced1d7192b98547529.jpg

bcarl77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following along! Looks like you're off to a great start. Was thinking about one of these for the bedroom. Do you feel like you really needed the MP10 for extra water movement? Also love that stand where did you find it??

OP
OP
Joe G

Joe G

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following along! Looks like you're off to a great start. Was thinking about one of these for the bedroom. Do you feel like you really needed the MP10 for extra water movement? Also love that stand where did you find it??

Thanks for following.
I do feel like the tank needed some additional flow besides the return.
I could have gone with something else, but eventually I will use the mp10 in a 40 gal Red Sea when I upgrade.
I always liked the low profile of the Ecotech pumps in the tank, plus I can just run it at a low speed in the nano for now.

As far as the stand goes I bought it from ikea. It was $160 if I remember rite.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Joe G

Joe G

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone for stopping by and saying hello. I’m glad u like the set up so far!
Hopefully you guys can pop in from time to time and give me some feed back.

OP
OP
Joe G

Joe G

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok squeeze more acros in there lol.

That’s hilarious. I was thinking last night how there’s no way all that coral will fit and grow in this nano.
I will definitely narrow the list down some.
It would be nice if I could just stick to 5 nice corals and allow them room to grow out a bit.

OP
OP
Joe G

Joe G

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I decided to try this new product today called purple helix. supposedly it seeds aquariums with coralline algae.
I’m usually hesitant to try new things that I’m unfamiliar with but it’s a local company and some of the proceeds go to rebuilding reefs in Miami. My tank has no live stock yet so I figured why not give it a try.
So if all parameters stay consistent to the company’s recommendations I should be seeing small dots of coralline algae in 4 to 8 weeks.
We will see if I just bought some snake oil or if in fact this product works .

5ccedefe15bbe99cf8c4bc044ba8149d.jpg

6c905316e2c59e90afef63e139bd3926.jpg

Last edited:

pecan2phat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following on the Purple Helix, also wanted to see if it was as advertised or snake oil.
Also, nice build!

OP
OP
Joe G

Joe G

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The wife and I went to the Florida frag swap today. It was nice seeing some old friends and seeing all the eye candy. I really struggled not to buy any coral. The vendors had a phenomenal selection of coral including a few I know I want for the tank. Fortunately, I was able to resist the temptation, at least for now.
I did purchase a black Picasso clown fish ! I’m definitely going to let the tank marinate for awhile to allow things to mature a bit more before any new live stock purchases.
Here is some pics of the clown.

eb0bdced61b68095a75f97c22bc7fc6d.jpg
c5fa74eea4921248e3d7cc31fbfd56d1.jpg

OP
OP
Joe G

Joe G

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My clown is not interested in eating. I’ve tried pellets, frozen mysis shrimp and live tiger pods. It’s day four now and I really want him to start eating. I tested some of my tank parameters yesterday and everything seems ok.
Temp 79
Salt 1.025
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 0
Ph 8.2

I really don’t want him to die on me.
ugh [emoji58]
Hopefully he will be interested in eating tonight.

pecan2phat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does any of your local fish stores have live brine, maybe try that to entice him a bit?

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 9 5.9%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.3%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.9%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 124 81.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.9%
Back