Waterbox hairline fracture or scratch

MvGvM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I sent an email to waterbox support about this, but I was hoping to see what everyone thought beforehand. I received my Waterbox 35.2 about 9 days ago and just noticed this possible hairline fracture (possibly a scratch) on the bottom pane, under the levelling mat. I checked the tank when it arrived for any obvious signs of damage, and it seemed fine. I had a bit of trouble with the stand, and had a fairly busy week so it took me longer than I wanted to get started on the tank. Today I finally started making RO water to fill with and noticed this line on the bottom pane of glass, since the tank was in more direct sunlight for the first time. It is on the under side of the glass, between the leveling mat so there is no way I could have made it. It's making me really nervous about filling. Their silicone also looks different in the same spot the line touches the side of the tank, although I am not sure they are related. IMG_3681.jpg IMG_3682.jpg

Last edited:

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are lucky it’s a stay thread of silicone. Otherwise, it looks like a hairline crack that started on the bottom chipped edge.

Carefully run a fingernail across it and see if it’s flexible (silicone) but be careful if it’s a crack it could cut the a slice of Salome off your digit.

OP
OP
M

MvGvM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are lucky it’s a stay thread of silicone. Otherwise, it looks like a hairline crack that started on the bottom chipped edge.

Carefully run a fingernail across it and see if it’s flexible (silicone) but be careful if it’s a crack it could cut the a slice of Salome off your digit.
There is no chipped edge. The image from the side is perfectly smooth, no damage at all. I think the silicone is just a bit thicker there, so it is blocking light in that area.

OP
OP
M

MvGvM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I will wait to hear from Waterbox, but I may lift the levelling mat to see. That being said, it is refracting light so I am leaning towards a fracture.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back