R

Reefguy13

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
No it's the sand of it going in through the entrance of the tank and down the first chamber as it overflows to the drain. The waterbox marines are basically a converted aio so the waiter drains into the back of the tank like an aio and in the middle chamber is the overflow drain. It's making the noise as the water drains dr.one chamber to the next

sas226

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
No it's the sand of it going in through the entrance of the tank and down the first chamber as it overflows to the drain. The waterbox marines are basically a converted aio so the waiter drains into the back of the tank like an aio and in the middle chamber is the overflow drain. It's making the noise as the water drains dr.one chamber to the next
The new Marine X ones aren't this, so OP needs to give a little more info.

REEFTIDE

Lizbeli

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
I have a Marine 70.3 (not the X version). If I understand what you mean, it sounds like your return isn’t pushing enough water for it to fill the chambers to keep up with your drain. You can close the valve to help. But idk if you will need a bigger pump.

Have you ran it before without issues?

Also side note- Are you running it with the socks in the back chamber? If so I would remove them and use a 4”sock in the sump. The socks in the rear chamber aren’t the best idea for this tank. Once they clog is restricts the water going to the drain. Which in turn increases the water in your return chamber=messing with salinity.

rockdiver

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
I think he is talking about the gurgle from the overflow.
I have a WB MarineX 110 and I have been messing with it all day. Gate valve and pump speed. Can't seem to get it right.
The drain pipe does go straight down into the sump.
I was going to T it at the bottom with 2 elbows on each end.
But I will sleep on that since I have been annoyed with it all day. Lol

OP
R

Reefguy13

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
I have a Marine 70.3 (not the X version). If I understand what you mean, it sounds like your return isn’t pushing enough water for it to fill the chambers to keep up with your drain. You can close the valve to help. But idk if you will need a bigger pump.

Have you ran it before without issues?

Also side note- Are you running it with the socks in the back chamber? If so I would remove them and use a 4”sock in the sump. The socks in the rear chamber aren’t the best idea for this tank. Once they clog is restricts the water going to the drain. Which in turn increases the water in your return chamber=messing with salinity.
I am running socks. I'll remove them and see what happens. The water is about an inch below the emergency drain. It seems to be the water flowing in through the initial entrance to the back of the aio chamber

Attachments

• 20201206_221252.jpg
    20201206_221252.jpg
    105.1 KB · Views: 73

sas226

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
I think he is talking about the gurgle from the overflow.
I have a WB MarineX 110 and I have been messing with it all day. Gate valve and pump speed. Can't seem to get it right.
The drain pipe does go straight down into the sump.
I was going to T it at the bottom with 2 elbows on each end.
But I will sleep on that since I have been annoyed with it all day. Lol
You probably already know, needs to be right at the height of the emergency drain.

rockdiver

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
I didnt but I was trying to get it there. Either it was to much and it flowed thru the emergency drain or just to little.
Tomorrow's another day. But my girlfriend was like umm you are going to quite that down right hahaha.
Actually she said it was relaxing I thought it was very annoying !

Aquarium Specialty - dry goods & marine livestock

Lizbeli

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Mine is completely silent. I actually have the water so its a mm from the emergency drain. But yes- it should technically be trickling. I just couldn’t handle the noise lol. You need to close off your valve and let that rear chamber fill up. Keep some salt water on hand so your return pump doesn’t go dry.

This isn’t the Marine X version right? So you don’t have a gate valve. You have a regular ball valve. Which is more tricky imo.

I found that even the smallest adjustments can take up to ten mins to level out. I support the drain pipe with my hand then tap on the valve with the end of a screw driver just so it shifts a tad bit. Give it a good ten mins and see where your water level is in that read chamber.

Maybe a video will help.

rockdiver

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
I do have the MarineX so I have the gate valve.
Do you think putting a T at the end of the drain pipe will be helpful. The water just rushs straight down into the sump.
It has been years since I had a sump and I think I remember having to put some turns in to slow or quite it down. Trying to remember.
I will try what you said after work today. .
If I go just below the emergency pipe that will cover up just about the whole overflow pipe.
Is that the objective?
This morning that noise was loud since it was so quite in the house lol

rockdiver

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Well got home from work and it took like 5 minutes to tune it in. I think its even more quite then my 30 aio lol.
Little rest and look at it with a not so tired mind and it all good.
Thanks guys for helping!
Its so quite i have to see if its going lol

Lizbeli

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
If I go just below the emergency pipe that will cover up just about the whole overflow pipe.
Is that the objective?

I am glad to hear you figured it out!

Im a little late on answering your question- But yes- You should have a full siphon for your main drain. And just a trickle going down the emergency. Unless you are like me and want silence. I run mine about a mm below my emergency pipe.

Orphek OR3 reef aquarium LED lighting

rockdiver

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Yes mine is like an inch or so below I think if I bring it higher (more water it will bring the tank water higher and I wanted it right here ..see pic.
Is that not good it about the same amount as below the emergency pipe? I do have like 5 inches in my sump if I turn off all the pumps

Attachments

• 16073859781721318251400657142733.jpg
    16073859781721318251400657142733.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 64

chrisgold

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Well got home from work and it took like 5 minutes to tune it in. I think its even more quite then my 30 aio lol.
Little rest and look at it with a not so tired mind and it all good.
Thanks guys for helping!
Its so quite i have to see if its going lol
How did you do it I’m having this problem now

rockdiver

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Well you just have to look the noise is the water going down the emergency overflow. So tune the gate valve to where it's just below the emergency overflow.
Small turns very small then wait 10 15 minutes and see.

chrisgold

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Well you just have to look the noise is the water going down the emergency overflow. So tune the gate valve to where it's just below the emergency overflow.
Small turns very small then wait 10 15 minutes and see.
Sorted mate thanks

BRS

How much of your saltwater reef tank is automated?

• Nothing is automated

Votes: 65 13.6%
  • 25% or so

Votes: 149 31.2%
  • 50% or so

Votes: 107 22.4%
  • 75% or so

Votes: 104 21.8%
  • Close to 100%

Votes: 49 10.3%
  • Totally Automated (we need proof)

Votes: 3 0.6%
CWT Aquatics - Acrylic Sumps, Tanks, and More!