Waterbox peninsula mini 15 build

jfoahs04

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks great! I went back and forth between this tank and the 13.5 EVO (but settled on the EVO due to the footprint and the space I wanted it).

Your rockwork is cool and gives me Nightmare Before Christmas vibes:
nightmare before christmas.jpg

OP
OP
jzape24

jzape24

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks great! I went back and forth between this tank and the 13.5 EVO (but settled on the EVO due to the footprint and the space I wanted it).

Your rockwork is cool and gives me Nightmare Before Christmas vibes:
nightmare before christmas.jpg
That’s what I was shooting for lol jk but I do like the movie

OP
OP
jzape24

jzape24

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well after completing the cycle, and bringing in some corals from my 40 breeder, the Waterbox peninsula mini is now complete. It’s been fun getting everything together, will continue to update as the growth progresses.
0E312DC9-0FF6-4C63-8E76-8B5B76E6B9F7.jpeg
B8177B36-4C1F-4B17-AF65-7565F70F19D5.jpeg
7F45D96B-DA3D-4F47-A698-42EA95AE1320.jpeg

melbournedan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks awesome! I built something similar, they’re great little tanks.

Couple recommendations if I may…

AquaMaxx NF-1 nano skimmer works great and has been a great upgrade for chamber two. Fits perfectly with room to slip my apex probes past

I would also recommend the inTank surface skimmer, however not because it skims. You can better control display side water height by moving the skimmer vertically.

While there I also purchased the filtration cover to hide the skimmer/wires etc (this one isn’t a must IMO)

Although this one is fairly expensive it is the only one that looks really clean on the tank and will prevent all your snails from making it to the floor. This was the final straw in spending the money since this is a rimless tank and small, it was a daily snail hunt.

Lastly I got a chamber one filter cup setup so I could throw a bag of chemipure or fill a cheap freshwater bag with carbon in it into the overflow area

Hopefully some of this helps or at least gives ideas. Here’s some pics of my journey with it!

Good luck!

D948A9A8-79D0-4C99-B09F-0BE1436FD5F4.jpeg
1A352F18-543E-4366-A983-7246802F3306.jpeg
AF63ABD9-E998-432D-8D38-19A92688AC61.jpeg
AF716EB1-8A3D-4B65-BE0A-DF90F1B03B84.jpeg
C87326F5-492D-4024-BFCC-033197AD9122.jpeg
26A6B727-998B-46FB-A58B-E2DF8AFFD72B.jpeg
A70D75A9-6EC5-4CE1-8088-3B05BA1995F3.jpeg
how much noise comes from this skimmer ?

OP
OP
jzape24

jzape24

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
are you using the stock return pump ?
Yes I am. I originally had the plan to upgrade to the Tunze silence pump / powerhead 1073.008 (210 GPH) but when I received it, I found it to be quite large and hard to fit in the chamber without touching the walls and it making a lot more noise than I would like. The stock seems to be more than sufficient enough to keep your tank turning. I would say that the one thing I would change in the build so far would be the reef glass protein skimmer. It was a great idea considering the small footprint but the amount of maintenance needed to keep it running optimally is becoming quite disappointing.
75460010-66DF-4234-AB63-CBDE7CDB0CD0.jpeg

TUNZE SILENCE PUMP/POWERHEAD 1073.008 (210 GPH)​

OP
OP
jzape24

jzape24

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi nice build...have you looked at the hygger mini 1600s....they are dc and controllable...I have a few and am very happy
Hey BaliReefBox,
I ended up going against my original my original thought and got the MP10QD. This is my first one and I will say it is quite powerful especially for the small volume I am working with. I won’t be running it anywhere near full power so I’m hoping it will last me for quite some time.

melbournedan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I am. I originally had the plan to upgrade to the Tunze silence pump / powerhead 1073.008 (210 GPH) but when I received it, I found it to be quite large and hard to fit in the chamber without touching the walls and it making a lot more noise than I would like. The stock seems to be more than sufficient enough to keep your tank turning. I would say that the one thing I would change in the build so far would be the reef glass protein skimmer. It was a great idea considering the small footprint but the amount of maintenance needed to keep it running optimally is becoming quite disappointing.
75460010-66DF-4234-AB63-CBDE7CDB0CD0.jpeg

TUNZE SILENCE PUMP/POWERHEAD 1073.008 (210 GPH)​

dang. i currently have the sicce silent 1.0 but it does hum against the side walls a little. i’ll give the tunze a go but i just found the Innovative Marine mighty jet Mini, super small lots of flow but can’t get them in Australia.

apolsod

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
dang. i currently have the sicce silent 1.0 but it does hum against the side walls a little. i’ll give the tunze a go but i just found the Innovative Marine mighty jet Mini, super small lots of flow but can’t get them in Australia.
Try cutting the tubing so that the pump is slightly raised and put in at an angle, it got rid of the vibrating and is much more silent, it also doesn’t slide down, hope this helps!

OP
OP
jzape24

jzape24

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone,

1. Sorry for being MIA from the site. Having a baby (especially your first) is no joke when it comes to time for yourself. Good news is that I've at least been able to handle the waterbox pen. 15 but unfortunately, I had to breakdown my 40 breeder. But here are some updates since I have been away:
- I had palythoa growing like weeds on two of my rocks so I ended up selling those rocks to another reefer
- I realized that the aquamaxx nf-1 nano skimmer seemed like it was not adjusting from wet to dry even after playing with it so I just purchased the Icecap nano skimmer so hopefully it will fit better for my needs.
- I kept noticing that a few of the corals (scolly, acans, and one mushroom) was receding. I would watch for hours and didn't notice anything harmful. One night at 3am, I woke up and looked at the tank and found my now monster size emerald crab digging in the mouth of the scolly. I since then removed the crab but I'm worried that it might be too late for the scolly .
- I installed the full Apex pro system with trident, DOS pumps, and PMK system (so far I am liking the system)
- Set up a 75gph 7 stage RO/DI system which has life so much easier (especially when you have a baby)
- My zoa garden is starting to really spread out nicely which is exactly how I wanted
- I added a Kraken lid with a couple accessories (I enjoy the extra touch of color under the light)
- I am consistently plucking out kenya trees all around the rock that break off from my large tree. wondering if making them into frags and selling them is worth the hassle. Still debating on it.

That's about all I can think of at the moment. If you guys have any questions, don't hesitate to shoot them my way!

gwew.jpg

Attachments

• fsdf.jpg
    fsdf.jpg
    206.9 KB · Views: 29
  • fsf.jpg
    fsf.jpg
    260.6 KB · Views: 21
  • fssdf.jpg
    fssdf.jpg
    219.1 KB · Views: 23
  • yuuf.jpg
    yuuf.jpg
    228.4 KB · Views: 27
OP
OP
jzape24

jzape24

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No problem, thank you for the update! Quick question do you mind shooting a picture of the filtration side of your tank? I curious how you got it set up. Mine is pretty similar

Here’s a pic of the chambers:

Chamber 1) I removed the filter sock fixture and in place of it I have the innovative marine desktop UV, heater, RO/DI top off, Trident sample tubing, and DOS dosing lines.

Chamber 2) IceCap Neo protein skimmer, ReefBreeders ATO sensor.

Chamber 3) Apex Pro sensor probes, Activated carbon media.

Now that I have more room in the 2nd chamber switching to the IceCap skimmer, I might add a media reactor in the middle chamber as well.

IceCap Neo Skimmer reflection: I will say that I was quite skeptical initially. It felt a bit flimsy and the collection cup doesn’t fully fit in the body of the unit. It just sit on it and can easily get knocked over. It seems like the o-ring is just a little too thick which keeps it from fully fitting into the body. But let me tell you, it really kicks butt. I didn’t think it would be able to collect anything with the collection cup seeming incorrect. In one day it had collected the darkest skimmate that I’ve ever pulled from this tank. So performance purposes I give it 8/10. Downside is that it’s a bit noisy.

B8C3BF56-1F97-4A88-87B0-4B41147DC096.jpeg

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone,

1. Sorry for being MIA from the site. Having a baby (especially your first) is no joke when it comes to time for yourself. Good news is that I've at least been able to handle the waterbox pen. 15 but unfortunately, I had to breakdown my 40 breeder. But here are some updates since I have been away:
- I had palythoa growing like weeds on two of my rocks so I ended up selling those rocks to another reefer
- I realized that the aquamaxx nf-1 nano skimmer seemed like it was not adjusting from wet to dry even after playing with it so I just purchased the Icecap nano skimmer so hopefully it will fit better for my needs.
- I kept noticing that a few of the corals (scolly, acans, and one mushroom) was receding. I would watch for hours and didn't notice anything harmful. One night at 3am, I woke up and looked at the tank and found my now monster size emerald crab digging in the mouth of the scolly. I since then removed the crab but I'm worried that it might be too late for the scolly .
- I installed the full Apex pro system with trident, DOS pumps, and PMK system (so far I am liking the system)
- Set up a 75gph 7 stage RO/DI system which has life so much easier (especially when you have a baby)
- My zoa garden is starting to really spread out nicely which is exactly how I wanted
- I added a Kraken lid with a couple accessories (I enjoy the extra touch of color under the light)
- I am consistently plucking out kenya trees all around the rock that break off from my large tree. wondering if making them into frags and selling them is worth the hassle. Still debating on it.

That's about all I can think of at the moment. If you guys have any questions, don't hesitate to shoot them my way!

gwew.jpg
Loving all the new coral you have!! Do you have any personal favorites you have added recently?

OP
OP
jzape24

jzape24

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Loving all the new coral you have!! Do you have any personal favorites you have added recently?
The Zoa/paly garden is probably my favorite so far. It’s mostly on one rock and it’s really growing out nicely. The magician zoas are probably at the top of the list.

Last edited:
Back