waterbox peninsula mini 15 - protein skimmer / filtration advice

rojees

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everybody,

So I am using a waterbox peninsula mini 15 - which comes along with 2 bio filter sponges, black bio pellet balls and some carbon.

I'm interested to see what filtration you guys use for this particular tank.

Chamber 1 - I didn't like the filter sock so I replaced it with a filter cup and filter floss, sometimes I would put carbon under the cup.

Chamber 2 -This is where I am out of room and it needs some rejuggling. I have 2 bio bricks (at the bottom), followed by a small bag of ceramic rings on top, followed by the two provided bio filter sponges. I don't use a protein skimmer as its FOWLR, no corals. I am keen though in exploring getting protein skimmer.

Chamber 3 - just the return pump.

The reason I used bio bricks is because initially it was a bare bottom tank and I needed more surface area for the bacteria. I ended up getting some sand and more rock for the tank, but I kept the bio bricks and ceramic rings in chamber 2. So there isn't any room left in chamber 2. I don't particularly like the 2 bio sponges as they clog up quickly.

Any suggestions anyone? Should I remove the bio bricks, balls and sponges completely and throw in a protein skimmer in chamber 2? or keep it all?

Last edited:

Rick699

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everybody,

So I am using a waterbox peninsula mini 15 - which comes along with 2 bio filter sponges, black bio pellet balls and some carbon.

I'm interested to see what filtration you guys use for this particular tank.

Chamber 1 - I didn't like the filter sock so I replaced it with a filter cup and filter floss, sometimes I would put carbon under the cup.

Chamber 2 -This is where I am out of room and it needs some rejuggling. I have 2 bio bricks (at the bottom), followed by a small bag of ceramic rings on top, followed by the two provided bio filter sponges. I don't use a protein skimmer as its FOWLR, no corals. I am keen though in exploring getting protein skimmer.

Chamber 3 - just the return pump.

The reason I used bio bricks is because initially it was a bare bottom tank and I needed more surface area for the bacteria. I ended up getting some sand and more rock for the tank, but I kept the bio bricks and ceramic rings in chamber 2. So there isn't any room left in chamber 2. I don't particularly like the 2 bio sponges as they clog up quickly.

Any suggestions anyone? Should I remove the bio bricks, balls and sponges completely and throw in a protein skimmer there?
Just my opinion, you don't need a skimmer to have a successful reef tank. I have a little JBJ 20 cube and have been running this just with ceramic rings. Test frequently, watch your input "Foods" and keep up on the water parameters with dosing and water changes.

OP
OP
R

rojees

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just my opinion, you don't need a skimmer to have a successful reef tank. I have a little JBJ 20 cube and have been running this just with ceramic rings. Test frequently, watch your input "Foods" and keep up on the water parameters with dosing and water changes.
great to know!

What filtration do you use? sponges?

Halvc909

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tagging along as I’m having a hard time finding a skimmer for my 30g aqua japan

Rick699

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
great to know!

On my little JBJ 20 - just use filter pad and ceramic rings. That is it if you want to count the live sand?
20211104_202812.jpg

iamahab

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
great to know!

I also have a waterbox mini 15. I have a intank media basket in chamber 1 (sponge, filter floss and chemi pure blue nano) In chamber two I have an icecap nano skimmer and heater, chamber 3 I have the return pump. I'm looking into getting a HOB refugium to control my out of control GHA.

Harold999

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have chaeto in chamber 2 with 2 leds above.

Skimmers on nano tanks are a hassle.

Attachments

• 20210628_183118.jpg
    20210628_183118.jpg
    150.4 KB · Views: 163

Bartwohl33

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also have a waterbox mini 15. I have a intank media basket in chamber 1 (sponge, filter floss and chemi pure blue nano) In chamber two I have an icecap nano skimmer and heater, chamber 3 I have the return pump. I'm looking into getting a HOB refugium to control my out of control GHA.
How did you get your IceCap nani skimmer to fit?

TraydersAnonymous

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did anything work ?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 15.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 17 15.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 60 55.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 7.4%
Back