Waterbox Peninsula Mini 25 - first tank

trelise

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys.

So, this is my first saltwater tank! I'm very excited, believe me. I'm using the Waterbox Peninsula Mini 25. It's about 95l. Considering that up to this point I've only kept freshwater (the largest of which was 65l) so I'm really enjoying this new challenge and hobby, both with the saltwater, and the new size.

Equipment:
Skimmer: Bubble magus qq1
Heater: Jebo 100w
Powerhead: Tunze nanostream 6020, if it ever comes back in stock. Fluval sea cp2 if not.
ATO: Aqua One Aquafill
Substrate: 25kgs Aragonite 2mm (I'm not using all of it, just a budget deal)
Rock: Marco Rocks
Filter: Aqua One Ocellaris canister filter. Using coral rubble as biological filtration inside.
Salt: Instant Ocean.

Stocking:
2x ocellaris clownfish
1x yellow clown goby
1x banggai cardinalfish
1x anemone
1x cleaner shrimp
Snails, hermit crabs ect as CUC

Coral:
Very new to corals, so I'll be taking it easy and using predominantly softies/LPS. I'm planning to stock slowly, taking advantage of any good deals I can find, probably second-hand from other hobbyists. These are just corals I'm interested in, not sure I'll stock all of them.
Anyway, here's my list:

Hammer coral
Zoas
Leather/Toadstool coral
Candycane coral
Pulsing Zenia (excluded on an island)
Small montipora
Maybe a birdsnest

Not sure if that's too much, or not enough -- not sure on anything really! I'm just planning to see how it goes, and adjust from there. I'm not too keen on dosing, so I'll see if I can get to a point where I'm satisfied with the reef and not at the point where I have to dose.

I've bought the tank now, I will post pics of the tank once I get it.

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like what you have laid out so far. Just right.
black ish appearance GIF

dawi03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome man! I’m 2 weeks into my cycle with my waterbox mini 25!! Looking forward to seeing your progress!

OP
OP
T

trelise

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah, so sorry for the very late reply! Life was kicking my butt for a moment.

A few changes to the equipment:

The tunze powerhead did not come back in stock, settled for the fluval sea cp2 instead. Haven't submersed it yet, can't tell you how well it runs. Looks alright, but what do I know?

Scored a good deal on the ATO - found a second-hand model that I can't remember the name of. Will update once I get home.

And I've decided to ditch the canister filter for now, I think it would make too much noise and I've already got a bit of filtration going with the AIO filter + skimmer + rock. We'll see.

I had a really hard time finding the stand, but finally found one and it's on it's way!

I have officially bought my light -- Reefbreeders Reef Nano LED. Hasn't arrived yet but I'm very excited. Never had such an expensive light before with fancy settings (and yes, I know it's rather budget in the marine world!)

I bought some marco rocks but it's not enough. I ordered again yesterday and will re-jig my configuration once they arrive, with pictures! I think I'll upload some different options and you all can tell me what looks better.

My plan is to wait until the stand arrives to put all the rock and sand in, while finishing rinsing out my RODI, then filling the tank, letting it settle for maybe a week, adding in bottled bacteria, and then ordering my turbo snails and finish cycling.

Will update with pictures once I get home and can take them. In stats right now writing this!

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

trelise

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys. Home now and uploading pics of the scape so far. Please give me some advice, not really sure about it yet!

I do have more coming - a reefsaver for an isolated island and another foundation rock. I thought I could stack the new foundation rock on top of the current shelf to give it more height and interest, or maybe place it down at the bottom. Either way, I think the structure needs to be taller.

As for coral placement, does this look okay? I don't have any experience with corals, I don't know if there's any real 'space' for them here?

20220505_162558.jpg

20220505_181602.jpg

20220505_181611.jpg

Back