WaterBox Platinum 135.4 vs. Red Sea Reefer XL 525

Discussion in 'Waterbox Aquariums' started by Waterbox Aquariums, Oct 3, 2017.

1. Waterbox Aquariums

Waterbox Aquariums Member R2R Supporter Platinum Sponsor

We should have some retailers in Miami very soon :) closest one that has one set up as a display is in West Palm. All your retail stores in that area have access to them, just none with them set up as display tanks yet.

2. TheHarold

TheHarold Well-Known Member

And is this the largest size tank you are planning on manufacturing, 98.91 gallons, or will we something larger in the future- somewhere around 150 gallons?

3. Waterbox Aquariums

There are definitely more sizes to come :)

Last edited: Oct 4, 2017
  4. cmcoker

cmcoker Valuable Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Build Thread Contributor

Warranty info?

5. Waterbox Aquariums

WaterBox has a one year warranty

6. Dr0pl3r

Dr0pl3r Member

Where are you guys located? Might be interested in a retailer for Norway/Scandinavia/Europe? You can contact me at - adrian@dreamaquarium.no

7. Broadfield

Broadfield Red Sea Reefer Consultant... Non Affiliated R2R Supporter Reef Squad R2R Excellence Award Photo of the Month Award Reef Spotlight Award Build Thread Contributor Partner Member 2018

Actually it's not way cheaper... Waterbox is comparing their tank to a larger Red Sea tank. So naturally the Waterbox tank is cheaper.

Waterbox in the comparison: 47.24” x 23.62” x 20.47” - $1949
    Red Sea in the comparison: 59" x 22" x 22.6" - $2599

They should compare it to the 425XL if they want a fair comparison... which is 47" x 22" x 22.6". And guess what price that is?... $1949.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2017
  8. Waterbox Aquariums

We are comparing by water volume which is why we did the 525. The 425 is a decent bit lower in water volume compared to ours

9. Antics

Antics Well-Known Member R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor Partner Member 2018

@Broadfield makes an interesting point. Perhaps you can help me/us work this out @Waterbox Aquariums

Red Sea Reefer 425 XL
    Dimensions - 47" x 22.6" x 22" (19 inch water height) = 87 gallons adjusted.
    Sump volume - 24 gallons (10.6" water height)
    Total Volume - 111 gallons

Waterbox 135.4 Platinum

Dimensions - 47.24" x 23.62" x 20.47" (19.09 inch water height) = 92 gallons adjusted.
    Sump Volume - Advertised as 33.9 gallons, but if you take the measurements (29.52" x 17.71" x 14.96) and adjust the 14.96 down to Red Sea's 10.6" water height, its actually 24 gallons adjusted.
    This seems fair, as I really doubt/question that your aquarium is maintaining a 14" height in its skimmer chamber?
    Total Volume - 116 gallons

With this comparison.. the Reefer 425 XL is actually the proper comparison to make, no?

And if that's the case... the Waterbox 135.4 and Reefer 425 XL are the same price.

Correct any mistakes if I overlooked something.

Aviad Benz, DSC reef and Broadfield like this.
  10. Chevyaddiction

Chevyaddiction Member

Off topic, but, do the Red Sea Reefer tanks really run 3 inches below top of glass?

11. Antics

Antics Well-Known Member R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor Partner Member 2018

I'd say its closer to 1.5-2". I put it at 19" because thats what Waterbox advertises their height at.

Red Sea's 425 XL display measurements are for a 101 gallon tank, but they only advertise it as 88 gallons. If you drop the 22" down to 19" you get 87.3 gallons. I imagine its more likely for the water height to be 20.5~ inches but the overflow is also displacing some water volume. This is true of Red Sea and Waterbox by design.

12. Chevyaddiction

Chevyaddiction Member

Phew! I am looking to buy one and once I read that, I started to change my mind! 3" just seemed like a lot more than most tanks I see picture of. In my mind I was picturing 3" and thought that it wouldn't look good.

13. Broadfield

Broadfield Red Sea Reefer Consultant... Non Affiliated R2R Supporter Reef Squad R2R Excellence Award Photo of the Month Award Reef Spotlight Award Build Thread Contributor Partner Member 2018

I just measured mine at 1.25"

14. Chevyaddiction

Chevyaddiction Member

Nice. That is what I was expecting.

15. Maverick777

Maverick777 Member

are the feet on the red sea reefer, if not just the larger ones, leveling feet as well?

16. Broadfield

Yes, the 500, 650, 625 and 750 have leveling feet. I imagine these will be standard on the entire Reefer series line at some point soon.

Aviad Benz likes this.
  17. Waterbox Aquariums

For your 24 gallons on the Reefer 425XL - what dimensions are you using for the sump? I see the skimmer and pump chamber measurements listed. Those together would be total measurement of sump? so 19.3x19.4?

Last edited: Oct 5, 2017
  18. Antics

The 425 XL sump is 27.5" L x 19" W x 16" H. This is 24 gallons when you adjust the height down to 10.6 inches per Red Seas reported water height.

The length not included in the skimmer and return section is found under the filter socks which is part of the skimmer section basically, and then baffle spacing.

Aviad Benz likes this.
  19. Waterbox Aquariums

Thanks for the measurements, couldn't tell from the spec sheet.

Antics likes this.
  20. Broadfield

@Waterbox Aquariums - The 135.4 and the 425XL are virtually the same as far as specs and dimensions. There's no point in even trying to say one is larger than the other... at least not enough that a consumer would let it be the deciding factor on which they would purchase. They are also the same price. So that's the reason that some of us jumped all over the comparison chart... just a lot of false information in there. However, I don't think a single one of us in this thread has said anything at all negative about your product... it looks to be a VERY nice product! Nor did we say that any of "your" product claims were false. So I would ditch the chart and just brag up your product without feeling the need to compare it to a Red Sea or any other brand. I don't think you will find Red Sea posting a comparison chart of theirs compared to an Elos or similar. I would just let the unique features of your product speak for themselves!

pelphrey, JoshH, Meldrath and 7 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted