Waterproofing new aquarium stand

chayos00

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, I've been trying to figure out how I should water proof my DIY aquarium stand structure. I'm not talking about the exterior finish wood, but the internal structure. My initial thought was some Thompson's water sealer, but I've seen a few few builds using Kilz. I do like the idea of painting the stand white on the inside to help see what I'll have inside. Thoughts? Kilz and some white paint?? If Kilz which variety of it?

Here is the stand at the moment, this is what I'm wanting to waterproof.
12216051403_d0ed6e61ea_b.jpg

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thompson's water seal is crap! Regular Polyurethane won't hold up to water. If you want a "clear" finish, use Spar Varnish or Marine Varnish. My favor paint is Kilz Complete. It is the oil based primer of Kilz, and it sticks like grim death. Just note that the odor is the worst when painting. If you can, paint in well ventilated area.

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Polyurethane won't hold up to water? How so?
I must have mine soaked in enough coats that it just rolls off.

OP
OP
C

chayos00

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wonder how it would work if I coated the stand in a layer of some sort of paint and the got a bunch of clear silicone and spread it in a thin layer over the bottom of the stand to make it a water sealed pan. Of course I would have to add some 2x4's to finish the pan.

Small triggers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kilz oil based primer...
Then in the base use shower pan liner and go up the sides 2 or 3 inches (wherever your going to put the doors)

Kman129

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thompson's water seal is crap! Regular Polyurethane won't hold up to water. If you want a "clear" finish, use Spar Varnish or Marine Varnish. My favor paint is Kilz Complete. It is the oil based primer of Kilz, and it sticks like grim death. Just note that the odor is the worst when painting. If you can, paint in well ventilated area.

Yeah polyurethane don't hold up neither does thompson's I only use them in aquairium stands and boats

Bad Company

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Polyurethane worked great for me. I had 2" of standing water in my stand for two days until I realize my skimmer was overflowing!

OP
OP
C

chayos00

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The more so think about the sump overflowing the more I wonder if there is anyone that makes a wet sensor that aquarium people could put in the bottom of their stands to alert them with an audible alarm about the issue.

redfishbluefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The more so think about the sump overflowing the more I wonder if there is anyone that makes a wet sensor that aquarium people could put in the bottom of their stands to alert them with an audible alarm about the issue.

THIS is the alarm I have and you can get it at HD for ten and a half bucks.

reeffirstaid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used Minwax poly (One coat of Minwax Wood Finish stain and two coats of Minwax Poly). Water rolls right off it like glass.

ReefKeeper09

Clownfish Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

If you have an Apex controller I believe they have a spill sensor.

Nvizn

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll have to post pictures of mine. However, I had my stand made with a formica countertop base and sides, for waterproofing. The joint is sealed with silicon and can hold 3 inches of standing water.

Nvizn

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll have to post pictures of mine. However, I had my stand made with a formica countertop base and sides, for waterproofing. The joint is sealed with silicon and can hold 3 inches of standing water.

This is not visible, from the outside.

adupree

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

ReefKeepers have them :) And I used Minwax outdoorUrethane, haven't had any issues.

redfishbluefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's good to hear as most people are pointing to poly not holding up.

Just to clarify, furniture grade polyurethane does not withstand constant contact with water....it will eventually fail. You might be able to get away with it as a finish coat on the outside of the stand, but not where water will be hitting it every day. You can still use a polyurethane though....but make sure it states "Spar" or "Marine." These are polyurethanes formulated for exterior use, and they will hold up a whole heap better than regular furniture grade.

Last edited:

reeffirstaid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Apex, Apex Lite and Reef Keepers, along with DA Lifeguard all have spill sensors with email and text alerts.

Bry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Polyurethane will definitely hold up just do not get the water based or water modified versions. Stick to standard poly.

Back