Waterproofing new aquarium stand

Tattoolew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oil based Kilz on mine, I like the all white interior and it can really hold a good amount of water, paint then silicone the bottom where 2X4s meet the skin and a nice water tight seal. I had my syphon break clog right after we moved, (superglue) and my stand had 2'' of water in the bottom.

Ostentum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Use boat paint. It works the best lol, Rustoleum makes a brand that works well but I like Duck Boat brand a little better. Easy for me to find since I live on the coast. Poly tends to break down over time and it also chips easier especially on corners when your opening doors, boat paint not so much. The only dislike I have with it is it is really really thick almost like epoxy, brushes get heavy and full of paint quick.

lxeroxl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Epoxy, You can get it online cheaper then lowes or HD my stand once had stand has had more water in it then i care to admit and that has held up like a king, my other stands that i skipped the epoxy to save money are all pealing from water damage.

Sacohen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Rustoleum brand is called Never Wet.

The product Demo they did is pretty incredible.

[video=youtube;DZrjXSsfxMQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZrjXSsfxMQ[/video]

Spsnut

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use spar. The 2x4's will likely last decades with little more that a coat of paint so it looks cared for. Plywood will delaminate it has to be sealed.

Last edited:

ermartin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kilz worked for me on both of my stand's. 2 or 3 coats also kept all of my brackets from rusting as well. on the bottom shelf I got a piece of the cut to size rubber floor runner makes it easy to clean up any salt creep

sabredraken

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the tank stand om redoing im spraying truck bedliner in the inside, on the top where the tank sits, and on the bottom of the stand its like $9 at tractor suply or autozone and it really works great as a water resistant coating i figured if it can protect my truck bed the it deffenantly can protect a fish tank stand and once it drys it wont harm the fish at all

kv2wr1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also lined the bottom of my stand with shower liner and made a basin so if the sump ever did leak, the water would not touch the wood and would stay in the basin.

Mole

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also lined the bottom of my stand with shower liner and made a basin so if the sump ever did leak, the water would not touch the wood and would stay in the basin.
+1 to this. $25 of shower pan liner will give you roughly a 5x6 sheet that you can cut to fit any shape and glue it together using the same process (and supplies) you use for pvc plumbing. did the bottom of the stand for my 65 this way.

Small triggers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The rustoleum stuff wears off....
Just kilz or red guard or any marine epoxy paint and use a shower liner in the bottom....

Longnose Hawkfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't want to steal the thread, but I'm building my stand and should I waterproof it? Thanks

Mikeg1983

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use Le Tonkinois it is what they use on wood boats in the ocean. It is costly but looks like glass when finished. If you want pictures I can post some. There are only a few places you can get it here in the USA. It comes from France I think.

Jtwax

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A product called red guard or hydroban, both are used for waterproofing shower pans in homes. Then line the bottom with Ruben truck bed matting, which is waterproof and dampens vibrations.

55g

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had a 55g stand for 10yrs+. Outside I finished, but inside is untouched (raw plywood). Never had any internal moisture issues. I do like the idea of painting it white inside to brighten the enclosure. My next stand will have a shower pan liner with a drain to outside incase of a major fail; which should never happen but lately my luck hasn't been so good.. Never say never...

OP
OP
C

chayos00

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone!!

WOW!!! I didn't expect this kind of a response to my question! Especially as I got similar responses on the three forums I posted this to. Basically it seems that from most of the responses to use several layers of which ever stuff I use (Kilz, primer/paint, something oil based, epoxy, polyurethane, a shower liner, or truck bed liner) I should be good to go. So I'm going to head to home depot on my way home to see what they have to use and go from there to paint the stand framing and then build up a "catch pan" and seal it up to contain any possible spills.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 46 35.1%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 21.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.6%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.6%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 33 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back