Water's SPS updates

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I was comfortably numb this morning as I over flowed a tank onto a power strip and stood there wondering what the popping sound was along with the terrible smell :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:
It takes some skill to overflow a tank you are standing in front of too.

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I was comfortably numb this morning as I over flowed a tank onto a power strip and stood there wondering what the popping sound was along with the terrible smell :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:
Been there done that and I got the T-shirt.

Big E

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
To be honest I am not sure....I bought it from @Big E over a year ago as a Mother of Pearl....maybe he can confirm? I do have a Pearberry that I did not photograph (does look similar but with much darker colors). The skin is white (other than the center which is more of a blue/green....the photo is pretty accurate as to how it looks) so maybe it is the one you are referring to :)

Yes, it's the real deal MOP. The Pearlberry you have we bought frags together.........I think that piece may be fake. I'll have to give you a piece of my real Pearlberry.

Lol I actually do have a Pink Floyd but I am not positive I got it from him......I have had it a long time and it hasn't done much as far as growth for whatever reason. And I 100% agree on Pink Floyd...obviously lol.
Yes, you got it from me................last time I was over you said that coral sucked........... It just sucks in your tank:beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

Big E

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yeah I hear ya......I like him for what he does onstage....defiantly nothing else. His (and Pink Floyd's) music has always been political though. From Animals, Dark Side, Wall, Final Cut, etc., it is all anti government. I actually took my daughter to Roger's last concert (opening night in Pittsburgh).

There's a cool documentary on the making of Dark Side on you tube. If you get a chance check it out.

tmo65

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your acros look fantastic. What lighting do you use? What par do you run in the corals? They look to be growing so well, did you get them that large or have they grown? Over what time. I have a year and a half in on mine and growth is good but still just look like little frags.

OP
OP
Waters

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, it's the real deal MOP. The Pearlberry you have we bought frags together.........I think that piece may be fake. I'll have to give you a piece of my real Pearlberry.

Yes, you got it from me................last time I was over you said that coral sucked........... It just sucks in your tank:beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:
Awesome...good to know on the MOP. Thanks on the Pearlberry as well....I need to get over your house sometime before the end of the year to check things out. And yes, the Pink Floyd does suck in my tank lol. It either doesn't like the higher PAR or doesn't like being crowded out.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Waters

Waters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your acros look fantastic. What lighting do you use? What par do you run in the corals? They look to be growing so well, did you get them that large or have they grown? Over what time. I have a year and a half in on mine and growth is good but still just look like little frags.
Thank you! I use two Radion Gen4 Pros with 4 T5 bulbs (Blue+ and Coral+) I run about 350 par at the highest point. Yeah, they all started out as little frags with my bigger colonies being in there about the same amount of time as yours (1.5 years). What kind of nutrients and PAR are you running?

Ken101Ward

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome...good to know on the MOP. Thanks on the Pearlberry as well....I need to get over your house sometime before the end of the year to check things out. And yes, the Pink Floyd does suck in my tank lol. It either doesn't like the higher PAR or doesn't like being crowded out.
My RR Pink Floyd did nothing for the first 5 months in my tank under LED lighting only. A podcast interview with Chris Meckley of ACI Aquaculture discussing the potential shortcomings of LED lighting motivated me to add T5 lighting with 10K lamps to my tank. My RR Pink Floyd (and all other acros) responded well and started encrusting within a month. I'm 100% sold on the LED/T5 hybrid combo for a more balanced lighting spectrum output.

tmo65

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! I use two Radion Gen4 Pros with 4 T5 bulbs (Blue+ and Coral+) I run about 350 par at the highest point. Yeah, they all started out as little frags with my bigger colonies being in there about the same amount of time as yours (1.5 years). What kind of nutrients and PAR are you running?
I run 5 radion xr30w blue. two in back set at the spa metal halide template at about 220 par for the acros and three in front at lower par around 100 for my LPS in a 340 gal tank. I had been dosing FUEL (seachem I think) weekly but have recently changed to Red Sea reef energy plus dosing daily. Mag is 1350, kh 8.5 and calcium 420. I got a par meter and will hope to up the par for the acros to 350 over time but I have to be careful of the LPS in the upper middle of the tank.

tmo65

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My RR Pink Floyd did nothing for the first 5 months in my tank under LED lighting only. A podcast interview with Chris Meckley of ACI Aquaculture discussing the potential shortcomings of LED lighting motivated me to add T5 lighting with 10K lamps to my tank. My RR Pink Floyd (and all other acros) responded well and started encrusting within a month. I'm 100% sold on the LED/T5 hybrid combo for a more balanced lighting spectrum output.
Interesting, I will search for the podcast and research the T5 combo.

IKD

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I run 5 radion xr30w blue. two in back set at the spa metal halide template at about 220 par for the acros and three in front at lower par around 100 for my LPS in a 340 gal tank. I had been dosing FUEL (seachem I think) weekly but have recently changed to Red Sea reef energy plus dosing daily. Mag is 1350, kh 8.5 and calcium 420. I got a par meter and will hope to up the par for the acros to 350 over time but I have to be careful of the LPS in the upper middle of the tank.
I’m curious about your results switching to Red Sea. I just did the opposite and switched to Fuel from RS LOL. I am dosing twice weekly though versus weekly.

OP
OP
Waters

Waters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I am running the same combo. I have two Radions and 4 T5 bulbs. Mine has been in there over a year.....encrusted but never showed polyps, and kind of just stopped.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 137 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.8%
Back