wav powerheads

robert teseo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
about to pull the plug on the apex. I,m thinking of the set with 2 wave powerheads. any real issues with them?

Broadfield

Red Sea Reefer Consultant... Non Affiliated
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love mine! They are silent, can be angled(thus giving you more mounting options than the Vortechs), plug directly into the new Apex and of course are controlled through the Apex. I did have one go bad, but Neptune replaced it even though it was out of warranty. I also use one in my 65 gallon salt water container to keep it circulated.

What are the dimensions of your tank?

Bob Escher

Welcome to Saltwater
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a full Apex classic now with two MP10's love the vortechs but wondering if I should go for the new apex and delay the Wav's or just buy Wav's
Choices choices

Broadfield

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a full Apex classic now with two MP10's love the vortechs but wondering if I should go for the new apex and delay the Wav's or just buy Wav's
Choices choices

Hey Bob, what are the dimensions of your tank?

MaddyP

'Til Reefdom Come...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love mine! They are silent, can be angled(thus giving you more mounting options than the Vortechs), plug directly into the new Apex and of course are controlled through the Apex. I did have one go bad, but Neptune replaced it even though it was out of warranty. I also use one in my 65 gallon salt water container to keep it circulated.

What are the dimensions of your tank?

Can you quantify your comment on them being silent? I've considered these over Vortechs as well, however, when I saw these in action the high-pitch hum was noticeable.

Broadfield

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you quantify your comment on them being silent? I've considered these over Vortechs as well, however, when I saw these in action the high-pitch hum was noticeable.

Sorry, I should of said virtually silent. They have been tested to be as quiet or quieter than the MP40 Quiet Drives... which would be its direct competitor. The only noise I really notice, over ambient noise in my house, is if they are in Pipeline mode. You can hear it clicking on and off... which is typical. I do not run the mode anyway, but I have tried it out just messing around. Here is a dB video comparing the two:

45 gal cube

The WAVs would probably be far too powerful in that tank... each WAV unit is as powerful, if not slightly more powerful, than a MP40.

Last edited:

MaddyP

'Til Reefdom Come...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, I should of said virtually silent. They have been tested to be as quiet or quieter than the MP40 Quiet Drives... which would be its direct competitor. The only noise I really notice, over ambient noise in my house, is if they are in Pipeline mode. You can hear it clicking on and off... which is typical. I do not run the mode anyway, but I have tried it out just messing around. Here is a dB video comparing the two:

The WAVs would probably be far too powerful in that tank... each WAV unit is as powerful, if not slightly more powerful, than a MP40.

Thank you for sharing the video. I wasn't aware a test had been done with these pumps! Hmm, now I'm second guessing my choice to stick with Vortechs...

Broadfield

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for sharing the video. I wasn't aware a test had been done with these pumps! Hmm, now I'm second guessing my choice to stick with Vortechs...

No problem, I have owned both and both are amazing! So you can't really go wrong. However, I feel that they each have specific applications where one shines better than the other. For example, I would probably run Vortechs if I had a peninsula where the power heads would be mounted on the end with the overflow. Or if the tank was built into a wall and the only viewing panel was the front one. Otherwise, the WAVs work very well on the back glass since they can be angled... which is great when the tank is viewable from three sides. The WAVs are also considerably cheaper... especially if you have a new Apex.

Txdragonslayer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No problem, I have owned both and both are amazing! So you can't really go wrong. However, I feel that they each have specific applications where one shines better than the other. For example, I would probably run Vortechs if I had a peninsula where the power heads would be mounted on the end with the overflow. Or if the tank was built into a wall and the only viewing panel was the front one. Otherwise, the WAVs work very well on the back glass since they can be angled... which is great when the tank is viewable from three sides. The WAVs are also considerably cheaper... especially if you have a new Apex.
My only need is Neptune still doesn't make it easy to have a battery back up.

Sleepydoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have an Apex, another advantage of the Neptune Wav pumps is that they connect with one-link cables (a proprietary 4-wire combined power and data cable Apex uses.) This frees up 120V outlets on your energy bar as well as reduces the cable clutter under your tank since you don't have additional power supplies & controllers or the Ecotech interface box.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.5%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 72 34.4%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 69 33.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back